just a little rant about picture ratings.

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

ok so i was reviewing my profile and looking at my picture ratings, and some nut out there has gone through and voted almost all of my fish pictures with 1's and 0's. i can understand someone who may not like discus as that's their preference, i would really like to see if this person reads this post and actually sends me a msg stating why they would rate me a one as for the quality of most of pictures on my profile is pretty decent, maybe not the best quality in the world as i am only an immature photographer with an ancient digital camera, i am just a little taken back by this as i am almost lead to believe that who ever has voted me that low doesn't take half the time or care of their tank as i put into mine. not that i am bragging or being a spoiled brat or being that guy who can't take criticism or handle being rated low for picture quality. i was just a little shocked that someone could rate what i think are awesomely beautiful fish so low.

Brandon

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, I have received several 1s and 0s as well. I guess it all depends on peoples' opinions and I am sure there are people out there that do stuff like that to be funny as well.
Last edited by miami754 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Its the nature of a rating system... there will inevitably be people who rate everything a 9 and 10... there will be people who rate everything a 5 ... and those that rate everything 1 and 0. It is unavoidable... however, the beauty of numbers in mass is that they average themselves out... outliers will always be outliers... the mass will average to the number that represents a general consensus, because if that person rates your tank a 1 they are most likely rating everyone else's a 1. This is the theory at least.

I wouldn't worry, I think the numbers are only meaningful to those who concern themselves with the numbers... to those that take the time to enter the forum and to read through people's profiles, they care less for the numbers and will comment positively on your pictures and the time you have spent maintaining your tank and helping others out with theirs.

Hope this helps you to feel better :)

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeh TBH I'm not even sure how to seek out and find pictures to rate, I only know how to do it randomly..so its probably best a clueless fool like myself doesn't attempt to rate your pictures, just comment on them as I have. =D Maybe some dufus like myself got confused with the rating system and saw them as you posted randomly on the front page and decided to give them the all time best rating of 0 thinking of the scale in reverse! hah, ok so I'm being overly optimistic. I really have no explanation but I think the sponge man has a solid point. :)

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

lol thanks guys, for me it was just like whoah, for a moment, honestly i love my fish and know how much they mean to me and whatever ratings i get are just others opinions and thoughts, and ya know what they say about those opinions being like something else everyone has. LOL WOOOT i just thought i would rant a little bit. i do that from time to time. lack of sleep and lack of well that one thing all men need at least once a week... due to scheduling conflicts... ok too much information again. sorry bout that. thank you all for the comments and the compliment on my big guy lol couldn't think of any type of catchy name other than "big blue" for him, my lil sister says i should have named him "squishy and he will be my squishy and he i will hug him and love him *zzzzapppp"
Ouch! Bad squishy!" sorry lil sister is a nemo freak, when ever she comes over she recites excerpts from the movie while sitting about a foot away from my tank! LOL it's awesome.
Thanks again guys.
Brandon

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Tmercier... the ratings are meant to be random, so that people don't take advantage of the system by rigging the voting.... there is no way to find a picture you like and vote on it. Personally, i am unsure as to whether non-members votes count... IMO they shouldn't... if someone doesn't take the time or interest to register to the site, why should they have a say in my pictures.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Brandon -

Maybe they just don't like the L Word. LOL

Zambize

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

LMFAO that right there is some funny stuff!!!! haters!!! LOL j/k. not to take this thread off on a diff tangent, i can't believe they are only going to have one more season i mean really!! WTF is up with that!!!!

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

About rating tanks, I give a lot of 5s because most tanks are kind of average and if it looks ok I give a 5 because they've taken the time to get the picture, edit it, and upload it. If it's horrendous I do give 3s and 4s. If it's nice, I wouldn't mind having it in my living room, effort is evident, then they'll get 6-8. If I really can't see how a tank can be improved then I'll give 9 or 10.

Z

9 posts