Anyone know where I can find a part for my tank?

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

cutting plexi involves grooving it with a plexi knife, and then snapping off pieces using some strength... when the pieces break off, they are verrrry sharp and i've cut myself badly doing it, so please have someone who has done it before do it for you.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yep. I'm with the plexiglass idea too. I found a huge peice of plexiglass in the garbage someone was using as a schedule board for wipe-off markers. I cleaned it up and I've used it to make a few tops for my aquariums. I used my Bosch power jig saw to cut it, and though the plexiglass kind of melted as it was being cut it was easy to do.

For a way to feed and get into the tanks I cut out a rectangular section and used clear tape as a hinge, though there may be better hinge ideas at a hardware store as others have mentioned. I like the idea of using a rectangular flip up glass lid to fit onto the plexiglass top.

The only thing about plexiglass is that it melts if you have a very hot light close to it. Most PC or VHO lights probably won't be hot enough to melt it though. It was when I was experimenting with halogen shoplights that I had melting problems, and I soon learned that those lights are bad for fish anyway.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Lots of cover options, thanks! I have a handy man who is in and out quite a bit, perhaps I can get him to risk filleting his hand for my new cover. I'll give him your suggestions.

Zambize

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

serial32 and I went to our local glass shop and while I was Paying for a piece of lexan....serial got a crap load of pieces for free out of their garbage can.....some pieces where 1 1/2 feet wide and 3-4 feet long.....if you could trace the shape and bring it back to them and bat your pretty little eye lashes real nice .....lol I'm sure they would cut it for you for next to nothin..........because as others have stated .....lexan and plexi are kinda hard to cut, especially on a curve and can be very sharp and or crack in the wrong place .. ....I cut some with a roto-zip but it took some work to keep the tool from "walking" all over the place..............Boss

jmg1820

by jmg1820

A plastics supply place may be able to do the same as above. I got the background form my tank from a plastic supply, and they cut it out of scrap pieces for me. 2 pieces 24"x28" for around $30.

Anyone know where I can find a part for my tank?

15 posts • Page 2 of 2