Moving Blood Parrot to slighty cooler tank...

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

milky648

by milky648

ok well just get a 10 g heater, put the blue one in and coupel of days put him back but get the heater first bc ya hell go into shock, and might get sick u dont want that . See how it goes i mean hes still tiny.

miami754

by miami754

I am sorry Ness. I reread my post and I do beleive my tone came off wrong. I really do apologize. I just meant that the fish will probably be able to live in 70 degree water if you acclimate him slowly, but it would probably be more prudent to just buy a 10 gallon heater as they are only like 8-10 bucks. Again sorry for using the word silly as that was a poor choice of words. I also apologize for not remembering that you had no fish in the ten gallon. good luck.

Oh and thanks spongebob for saying that I was not trying to be rude.

NessFish

by NessFish

Hi Miami and Spongebob and other members,

I bought a 10 Gallon heater and acclimated him to the tank slowly. He didn't seem very healthy so I moved him back and his color came back quickly and he off course was still the aggressive fish. Today I bought an Aquarium Net Breeder.I want to keep him there for a week and see how things go. If he keeps up his aggressive ways I will just have to take him back to the fish store I use. Any advise is welcomed on this.

As far as what happened Miami... Tis ok, miscommunication is a big problem between humans. We all might as well be apes. Thank you for your advice.

Ness

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i don't think putting the fish in a net breeder is going to be of much help, fish by nature have a variance of attitudes, the fish that you have is just aggressive, that really is what it comes down to, his true nature is to be a bully and throw his weight around, fish are deff not like other pets that you can train and teach to behave through either positive or negative reinforcement, putting that fish in a net breeder is only going to stress it out. this is in no way meant to be a mean or rude post, just trying to tell you that from my experience in the past when you have a mean fish the best thing to do is separate him from the others, if that means taking him back to the pet store, by all means do this, and when picking out your fish in the future, watch the fish for awhile before deciding, if you see a fish that's getting bullied, or doing the bullying don't buy that fish. it is a key indicator of what is to come if you put that fish in your home tank. i will spend hours at a time in my lfs staring at a specific tank before deciding which fish will be right for my tank. this way i am able to get a glimpse into the fishes natural attitude and behaviors. i am also able to see if there is anything wrong with the fish i am choosing. this helps me to only add fish to my tank that will be a perfect fit for the others. the one thing you may want to try to keep in mind too is that sex is a big cause of aggression, put too many males of any one species with out enough females and you will have a loss eventually. too many females with out males i have seen this go the same way. the problem with blood parrots is that they are a man made species, a genetic experiment. not something i personally care for, however that's not to say i don't think they are by any means not a cool fish. am a more natural type of person when it comes to my pets. i refuse to buy genetically altered fish, and fish that have been "painted" it's like tattooed gouramis or painted parrots. but that's my choice. any ways back to the topic,

if you want to buy a fish that is not as aggressive as the one you have the best bet is to watch the fish before you buy it. don't make a rash hasty buy just because of coloration or the idea that it will look neat, be sure to do your homework and you can't go wrong.
hope some of this helps.
Brandon

NessFish

by NessFish

Well I didn't make a hasty decision when buying this Blood Parrot. The fact that I have another(different color) that wasn't aggressive at all made me make this decision. I am a member of a blood parrot forum and I was told by many people that they were not aggressive. I did my research and also watched the fish at the shop I buy from and he was fine. When I put him in the tank he was fine the first week then he went nuts! So yes I did all the checking. I will most likely be taking him back. Thanx for the input.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

it's nice to know that people do take their time with the purchases, often times as i am standing at the lfs i see people come in and look and say oh that's a cool fish, and then end up buying it just based on the looks of it. i didn't mean to sound condescending at all it's just from my personal experience that i notice that these things do happen, and anyone who says blood parrots are not aggressive is out of their mind, my mom had a pair that she kept in a tank with green sevrum and they terrorized the sevrum relentlessly, i've seen this in other tanks, i have also seen in the past where blood parrots were kept in with oscars, and other heavy weight cichlids and they were the rulers of the tank, which is why i find it hard to believe that they are a community fish. LOL sorry again just personal experience talking again. they are a really neat fish and pretty cool looking when they get huge and are at full color. the other thing is because they are a man made fish, i find it hard to actually sex the fish, the problem could have been that the fish you already had was a male and the one you bought was a male, and that's why the aggression showed up. it's one of those things that you will just never know i guess.
Brandon

NessFish

by NessFish

Well I took the aggressive Blood Parrot back to shop. My fisher expert the shop has ordered me two Blue Moorii which have a small bump on their head making them look like Dolphins. They are not aggressive and would be perfect for my tank. I am excited about that.

Here is what they look like... http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/c ... moorii.php

Anyhoo... everyone thank you for the advice. I wish I could have kept the Blood Parrot but those things happen.

Ness

Moving Blood Parrot to slighty cooler tank...

17 posts • Page 2 of 2