Cichild Filtration

21 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Ames

by Ames

I think i have decided that a sump will be more than enough filtration for my tank, if i feel like i need more filtration I can add it in later...

This is going to be an island tank, from floor to cieling so the plumbing will need to be done through the bottom of the tank, anyone done this before?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Others may have advice on that, but why not have the filters and everything above the tank?

Ames

by Ames

im having a sump so the weight is going to be pretty heavy, plus then the hood would need more supports ect... it seems pretty normal to have it plumbed through the bottom...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Ok. I guess you're right. Wouldn't want the tank supporting all that. Sounds like a beautiful tank you're planning.

Some day I would like a very large square tank for gars. It would have a very large central wood stump with lots of anubias bartari growing on it as well as java moss and be able to be veiwed from all sides.

milky648

by milky648

i never herd of rena filstar xp3 , what aout a power head filter? no? ill see how mutch

magomaev

by magomaev

I was thinking of making Eheim 2215 a biological filter. I will have ceramic "noodles" and blue pads only in that filter. Bio filter I would clean rarely. Maybe once in 5-6 months. I will setup Rena XP3 as a mechanical filter. No ceramic "noodles" ...Only white and black gravel...This will be cleaned monthly.
Any thoughts or comments?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sounds good to me. I would put a sponge filter onto the intake of the bio only filter to keep large particles out of it. I've read that some people do this and don't need to ever open up the canister to clean it. You would just have to clean the sponge occasionally.

magomaev

by magomaev

Peter thank you for your advise...What a great idea. You are always 100% on the money...thank you again

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't know about that. I spend way too much time on these forums these days. Most of what I've learned comes from other peoples experience and I'm just tryin ta share the knowledge and try to be accurate. I go to specialized sites for things like co2 and plants too, and bring back the info to this site where I have friends.

milky648

by milky648

and u know what ur knowledge is helping other ppl even me ive been doing it for 6 years but hey im still lerning im new with this big tank and cichilids , so could use everyones opiones and knowledge .

Cichild Filtration

21 posts • Page 2 of 3