Manintaing tank temperature

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

As another spring ''heat wave'' passes through, the temp is again rising in my tank and I'm still left wondering if I can do any more than just turn the heater off..Any ideas in reference to the above post? =P

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

im worried about this as well... my area gets into the hundreds and its not feasible to leave the a/c on all day and all night... i need it at night to sleep, but am worried about the day time when im at work... how will the fish tank react to the heat

miami754

by miami754

It is going to heat up, but there is not much you can do about it other than buying a chiller (around $300) or leaving the AC on. I would just wait and see how hot it gets in the tank. How hot does it get in your house on these 100+ days?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Where the tank is gets to about 83-84 on the hottest days of the year, and around 78 the rest of the summer months (with no a/c on ofcourse). For the regular days i don't think i have issues, but what about the days it hits 83-84 in the room, u think this will be an issue? You think a fan will help any... as it just blows hot air around the room?

miami754

by miami754

I did some quick reading on angels and I think you are fine. I read in several locations that they can do anything from the low 70s to the mid 80s. In fact many of the people I saw kept their tanks in the 82-83 range year round. It looks like you will be just fine. The thing you need to worry about is the temp swings between night and day. I would bump up the heater to like 81 or so once summer hits. That way your night temp is around 81 and your day temp is around 83. They should be able to handle that swing. If you set your heater down to 78 or so then I'm not so sure how it would go. That is what I would do at least if I were in your case. Make sure to slowly raise the temp over a period of several days a little before summer hits so they can have a chance to adjust to the warmer waters.

The good news is that it looks like the temp itself should not be a problem for your angels.

Spongebob

by Spongebob

thanks miami, sounds like a plan :)

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I may never comprehend why aquatics producs are so freaking expensive. a chiller for $300...nuts, when you can go out and buy a freaking bottom-budget 10cu ft fridge for $300 from Home Depot of all places. Granted one is cooling quite a different sort of thing from the other, but the science of it can't be that incredible. -.- Don't even get me started on lights...What I would pay for 19"W worth of lighting...god.

Anyway I did my stupid self a favor and researched the temps for my inhabitants a bit more.
Kuhli Loach: 72-82F
Amanos: 60-80F
Rummynose Tetra: 72-77

So when my temp swings to 82 I guess I'm only really endangering my tetras, and being that I've had it set to ((78))...perhaps I should widen the window a bit and set the thermo a bit lower to begin with...74 perhaps. Or would that cause it to swing more on the hot days? =\ I didn't even realize I had it set a degree over whats recommended for my tetras.

Manintaing tank temperature

17 posts • Page 2 of 2