OMG, two fish die in one afternoon! Help!

42 posts • Page 4 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i think everyone here has great points in their suggestions, I will say this personally i have never had luck with the bio wheels, the motors just never seemed strong enough and after a few days of running even in a new setup the bio wheel itself would stop spinning, which lead me to my decision for my smaller tanks to stick with the aqua clear h/o filters and fluval and penn plax canisters for my larger tanks. to me it just makes more sense to have more water running through more media, but then again that's my personal pref, now as to the massive water change, it has been my experience when things are way way out of wack, like 0 nitrates, and super high ph, to do a 50% water change what this does is removes enough of the water to drop the ph to a steady and safe level, along with cutting off the bio cycle and simply starting fresh with the cycle, it's basically like seeding a brand new tank, it will take a little while for the tank to re-cycle, however you still haven't removed too much of the beneficial bacteria, which brings the cycle to starting over again in the tank, it's a small tank and there aren't too many fish in there just as you do your water change make sure the temp of the water you are adding is very close to the temp of the tank water, you don't want to shock your fish with too cold or too hot of water. usually after doing this it takes a week for the tank to finish it's cycle and from there you shouldn't have any more issues. this is all from my own personal experience and experimentation. good luck,
Brandon

zambize

by zambize

Will doing this mini-cycle put my fish at any greater risk? I just don't understand why my pH is so high and my other numbers are so bad. I feel like I've been so vigilant in my tank/cycle care. I feel so bad for the fish being at such peril and no way to even help themselves!

Ideally, where would my numbers be at the end of the cycle? Is this close?

pH: 6.8-7.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: ?
Nitrates: ?

Zambize

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Your reading were a bit weird but not bad actually. I wouldn't try to read too much into 2 tetras dying, because it was probably the high pH or a pH swing that caused their deaths, not Nitrites, nitrates, or ammonia.

Tetras will die from the slightest little thing.

If your tank has pH of 6.8-7.2, 0 ammonia, close to 0 nitrites, and < 10-20 nitrates your tank is probably doing fine and you could start relaxing.

If your readings of the above substances are zero and nitrates are < 10 I personally wouldn't touch it anymore for like a week.

I believe tetras ideally need water similar to diskus, which would be soft acidic water. If you can maintain pH of 7 they should be fine though. You have other fish to considder, so I would shoot for pH 7.0 and unless waste products are building up cut way back on the water changes.

I do it no more than once every 2 weeks.

Ideally, the only waste product you need to dilute down with water changes should be nitrates if the cycle is working properly.

With your knowledge on proper feeding and the fact that you don't over stock your tank you shouldn't have any problem with maintaining that

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Brandon, I actually had to do what you suggested for my tank (i wrote the thread titled "mini cycle" if anyone is curious as to my issue)... and it worked well for me when i did the 50% change, so i see your point. This might work for zambize as well. I dunno, now im on the fence, lol.

I say give it a week with the r/o idea and if it fails do the big water changes and let it kick into mini cycle... hopefully the ph problem wont resurface.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I did as some suggested and changed the water, about 40%, with spring water, labeled "Origin: Protected California Mountain Spring", and this morning my numbers were:

pH: 7.8 (finally, something below 8.0ppm)
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrites: .25-1.0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm

And there was a dead Guppy this ,morning. Kind of expected that.

Zambize

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Have you tested the pH of the spring water by itself? It sounds like your cycle is out of wack again.

Sorry to hear about the guppy.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I have not tested the pH of my spring water. I don't have any left either, so I'll have to wait on that. The remaining fish seem quite normal, but hopefully they are happier/healthier with the lower pH. Now if it'll just stay that way.

I thought I might lose a fish or two, but it was "just" a Guppy. Although, he was cool. He was bright iridescent blue and silver, with an orange tail that had black spots all over it. For a Guppy, he was pretty cool. I think Guppies are highly underrated! Three fish gone this week, soon I won't have any!

Anyone ever lose many fish at one time?

Zambize

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I lost 4 fish last week. I had them in my upside down tank and that design didn't give them enough oxygen, so they suffocated. They were three clown loaches I've had for years, a fish I found among a batch of feeder fish (a cichlid I think), and one mosquito fish female who had given my many batches of fry in her long life. Oh well!!!

I have lots of plants in my 2 main tanks and I think that is why I don't have problems with the cycle.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

zambize, this is a very important time to stay on top of water tests, as your trying something new for yourself (and relatively rare in the forums). I would defintely test the spring water by itself, in the process discussed by miami with the air stone, so that you know where your target ph is, otherwise you don't know what ph you're working towards. It seems the ph is somewhere around 7.8 but you won't know until you measure the water alone.

Also, when i had very low ph (below 6) my water changes would show a 6.8 ph a few hours after, but then the very next morning my ph would drop below 6 again, until i found out my wood was the culprit. As soon as i took the wood out my ph is verrry stable at 7.4, like my tap water. So although you hit your target today, make sure to check tomorrow and the next day.

I personally record all my results (on a digital calendar on my comp) whenever i lay my hands on the tank, whether its water results or how much water ive changed or when ive changed my filters or done anything drastic. This helps me visualize when problems come up, so i can see the timeline, and so i can quickly achieve my targets.

Anyway, sorry bout guppy but glad to hear your ph is lower.... i think the death has skewed your amm and nitrite readings, but the water change should have kicked them to zero. let us know what results you get tomorrow.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Hi all,

I had used all of my spring water before I read the suggestion to test it. I tested today and got pH 7.6 and everything else was 0ppm. I, too, keep a fairly detailed journal of what I do with/to my tanks, including very frequent readings, usually daily...glad to hear that's right! I'm going out of town for 3 days, will let you know the readings when I return.

Thank you all,
Zambize

OMG, two fish die in one afternoon! Help!

42 posts • Page 4 of 5