OMG, two fish die in one afternoon! Help!

42 posts • Page 3 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

don't fret, you might come back and everything has stabilized by itself, you never know.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Everybody has really jumped on here! I won't say anything different, and yea, if your ammonia and nitrites are zero slow down with the water changes.

Brandon, I doubt with one little plant there is a problem with rotting roots, and anyway, tests reveal nothing abnormal except zero nitrate, which could be due to the frequent water changes.

I would leave it alone myself now for a week and then check the pH, amm, nitrites, nitrates. If all is good leave it for another week, but with good water it certianly wouldn't hurt to do small ones.

Those biweekly water changes were to reduce excess nitrite which you had before.

Sorry to hear about the dead fish. Just don't use Jungle Start dechlorinator. I heard it had sodium chloride in it which if it's dosed too often can cause problems. I like Prime myself. The guys at plantgeek like that stuff.

I don't know what r/o water is by the way. Whatever the others are saying about it is probably right though. The tap water is just keeping the pH high.

...Tetras are really touchy fish....I like what Spongbob said, things may be fine when you get back. A freshwater tank shouldn't require so much tinkering..

Good Luck!.....Peter
Last edited by Peterkarig3210 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

miami754

by miami754

r/o = reverse osmosis. I am going to write an article on it here in the coming days so you can read about it if you want. I'll let you know when it is up.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That water has trace elements in it right? If it's like distilled water constant water changes with that will be disasterous.

miami754

by miami754

You are right - you cannot use straight R/O water. You mix some of it with some of your tap water. I forgot to tell Zambize that. He will need to mess around with it a little and test it for kH and gH to find the right mixture.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That's why I was being safe and suggesting spring water. No chance to mess it up, unless there's something I don't know about spring water.

I like the idea of topping off my planted tanks with r/o water though.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I hear one vote for spring water...is this safe to use straight, with no tap water?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

There's no guarantee of what "spring" the spring water may have come from or if it's not from a river or lake, but store bought spring water should be as close to the water the fish would have in their natural environment as you could find.

There may be a range in hardness between different spring waters, but if you change 30% or whatever I doubt there is anything to worry about in this regard. Actually, tap water is usually the water to worry about more IMO.

Just so I can guarantee the safe use of bought spring water I would simply do some water tests on it. pH should be somewhere between say 6.8 and 7.2, ammonia should be zero, nitrites should be zero, nitrate zero.

If you have other tests you want to try go ahead, but I would be confident to simply check pH and dump it in.

Actually, for myself, I'd just dump it in without doing any tests. I've actually done it to top my tanks off sometimes. I just want to cover my arse and I guess I'd rather be anal when giving advice than to miss any detail no matter how tiny.

I'm actually a respiratory therapist, and we're taught when we work with critically ill people to not be the one who kills the patient. The patient may be dying of multi-organ failure, be in a coma on a ventilator, and we have to make judgement calls like on whether to keep someone at 100% oxygen and have their lungs disintegrate from o2 toxicity, or to increace the pressure of the gas pumped into their lungs which also ruins the lungs over time. They're gona die, but you don't want to be the last person who treated the patient when they do.

You don't have to mix tap water or anything else with spring water, and it shouldn't need dechlorinator either.

Food products have to list additives, and some "filtered water have added minerals for flavor. Spring water should have nothing added.

If anyone disagrees speak up!! I'm not God and don't claim to know everything!!!
Last edited by Peterkarig3210 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sorry to play devils advocate with you Miami. I really don't know anything about the R/O process and what it does to the water.

Salt water folks seem to be gaga about it. I'll bet that a mix of his hard tap water and R/O water would be perfect to use as well.

I look forward to your article on it. I may go this way with my tanks as it sounds cheaper for a large volume in the long run because I think my water is quite hard too.

Peter

miami754

by miami754

No problem. The whole point of forums is to get different options and then choose. I personally do not use spring water because, as you mention, there are such differences between the different brands. However, if you found a brand that worked and just stuck to it then I think it is a perfect choice. It really is just up to you Zambize. I think either method will work just fine and will definitely be better than your tap water.

Thanks, Peter, for the alternate suggestion.

OMG, two fish die in one afternoon! Help!

42 posts • Page 3 of 5