New Fry

23 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

elscion111

by elscion111

cool

miami754

by miami754

You are right in general, gumbii - but my tank is not a species tank. Any babies I let be born in the main tank are quickly eaten up by the other mbunas. Also, I have heard quite a few people say they left their mom in the fry tank and she ate the young. I'm sure there are cases where both things happen. However, I can guarantee that demasoni, acei, and red zebras will eat yellow lab fry. That is how I keep my numbers down. I'll separate one holding female at a time and let the others stay in the main tank and be eaten. I also separate the mom so she doesn't get beat up by the males. It is very hard on them seeing as they don't eat for 3-4 weeks. Separating them allows you to keep the female separated until she builds her strength back. The females I don't separate always live through the harrassment, but they are much worse off than the ones I separate and let rebuild their strength before reintroduction. Just my experience though. We are all free to do as we like. That is the fun of the hobby.

gumbii

by gumbii

ah i see...

demasoni sometimes get bloat like tropheus moorii... so be carefull if you see them eating fry or other meaty meals... i usually let algae grow like crazy in my tank... so the demasoni and other mbuna are always munching on something... the only fish that i have that eat thier young after a wile are my south american cichlids... if i don't feed the females they will eat the fry... all of they...

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, I have 16 mbunas in there so I don't think any one of them gets enough fry to bloat. I also let the algae grow and never feed them meaty foods. I feed spirulina, zuchini, and lettuce.

gumbii

by gumbii

zuchini and lettuce for reals...???

i feed they spirulina 20 flake and new life spectrum... never had bloat... i feed that to my tropheus tanks too...

miami754

by miami754

Oh, I forgot that I feed them New Life Spectrum as well.

They LOVE real vegetables. I rubber band a piece of zuchini to a rock at the bottom and they go to town. They will eat through it in a couple of hours. I have a suction cup clip that I put a piece of lettuce on - they absolutely love that as well.

I read somewhere that the beta carotine helps their colors. I'm not sure about this as I have never really researched it, but I mostly do it because they love it so much and it provides them some variety.

gumbii

by gumbii

hmm... i'll try it soon... i feed my goldfish all kinds of fruits and veggies... from oranges, to peas... everything... i guess giving them some veggies couldn't hurt... but i don't want they to make a mess...

and i know that new micro crab food is like steroids for fish colloration... i forgot what it's called... i think cyclopse or something...

miami754

by miami754

Thanks, I'll check into that cyclopse stuff.

I have never had a problem with them making a mess with the veggies. Just take it out after 10-12 hours and you should be fine. They eat right through the middle and then I take out the outside rine that is left over.

elscion111

by elscion111

hmmmm, interesting I gotta try it sometime...

gumbii

by gumbii

yeah... my ancistrus would eat squash that way... i love feeding my goldfish oranges... just slice it open and in a couple of hours they just leave the peel...

i used to feed my tropheus peas... but then i got used to making them gel foods instead...

New Fry

23 posts • Page 2 of 3