How to improve this tank?

63 posts • Page 1 of 7

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ZooTycoonMaster5393

by ZooTycoonMaster5393

We can't post pictures on here, can we?

Tell me how I can improve this tank: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/r ... 1206936399

gumbii

by gumbii

is that four leaf clover...?????????????

sa;jdkfajsdkf;ljasdfljaskfd;jaskfdajsdfkjsad;kljfsd...

i would just give it time... clump the plants together like bushes and stuff... but it allready looks way nicer than the planted tank i had running...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I like to see different height plants with larger/taller in the back and moving to shorter and ground cover in the front. Maybe fill in with artificial until your real ones grow. I agree with grouping like plants, don't spread them out. Perhaps a larger piece of wood or rock as a centerpiece.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah, well for starters, and some may disagree....I'd get some sort of neutral "poster" cover for the back of your tank..could even be black. Many heavily planted tanks have no need for one as the plants are so thick and overgrown the back glass of the tank (along with your HOB filter, wires, and other accessories) isn't even visible. But its certainly a cheap way to dress things up for the time being, and is purely personal preference. Before I went planted I picked up a fish-pattern one which doesn't really mesh well with my plants and fish. This is why I'd recommend something neutral.
Secondly I think some more ''hard'' objects like Zambize said (rocks, driftwood) would probably create some more depth and texture in your tank, and grouping the plants in, on, around these ''hard'' objects will probably be more natural and aesthetically pleasing.
Just be careful with rocks and wood, wood especially. I see you have some wood in this tank but have no way of telling if its fake or not. :) If you aren't experienced with real pieces do some research, as many types wood and rocks will often change the chemistry of your water, possibly not in favor of its ''swimming'' inhabitants. :)

rsbadger15

by rsbadger15

firth thing i'd do....rip that gravel out.
its too much.
i think sand is the best, but i know others arent a fan, if not, fine black gravel is great and really brings out the other colours in the tank.
Tmercier83 is def. right about black background, thats what ive got, i think its brilliant, and with black gravel your fish will look amazing.
next thing...bunch your plants together, and make fill the back with it, have bogwood to the right, something else to the left (a rock?) then create some open space in the middle area.
et voila!

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I agree with the black background and black gravel. That's what I use in several tanks and it's beautiful, very classy, without distracting from the inhabitants. I also like the idea of an open middle. It will encourage the fish to swim there and be more visible.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

all of this that i will say is personal preference but adding some plants of diff colors and textures will spruce up the tank, a black or dark blue background will make the plants and fish stand out, the gravel is fine if you use liquid ferts, i am not a huge proponent of using chemicals, however your tank seems small enough to where only a little bit with do the trick, if also add diff plants with diff leaf structures and sizes this will add texture, if you are to change your substrate you may be want to look into the eco-complete plant substrate, the design and how you go about doing it is completely up to you these are just some suggestions that you may want to take into consideration.
Hope this helps,
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think you should leave the wood as it is and clear a bit of a channel or make a virtual stream bed that courses from the front to the back of the tank and goes by the wood on it's left. I would move the Amazon sword or whatever is next to the Java fern, and replant it more in the left corner in front of the filter intake. If it's Amazon sword it will become the biggest plant soon and will be a good background. Move the Java fern to the left about 3 inches leaving space between it and the wood. Take and pull up much of that crawling vine type plant and replant on either side in a more compact bunch leaving a bare area in front. Having the whole ground completely covered is too full. I think there should always be some bare gravel, especially in the front somewhere, and I prefer to have the illusion of a little stream that draws the eye into the composition like a little journey into a fantasy paradise.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

RSbadger15. Now you have an eye for composition. Your tank is beautiful. There is as I see it a little stream or canyon going back into the tank and it's balanced nicely by the wood on one side and the foliage on the other. There is bare sand in the front too. It's got all the pieces of a nice composition in my opinion.

rsbadger15

by rsbadger15

why thank you kind sir!
it's always been a dream of mine to create a real masterpiece within an aquairum...problem is....i end up wanting to change it every week but cant because i dont want to stress the fish! :D
i cant wait to get my big tank when i move...i wont stop until its perfection lol.

63 posts • Page 1 of 7