How to improve this tank?

63 posts • Page 2 of 7

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Wonder what happened to the author of this post? IMO there's a lot of potential in this tank. Java moss looks great growing on the wood.

ZooTycoonMaster5393

by ZooTycoonMaster5393

1. Yes, that's 4 Leaf Clover in the front.
2. I WILL get a black background hopefully soon
3. It is real driftwood, it leached tannins for a couple weeks.
4. Flourite is the substrate, and I don't really want to replace it with something else since it clouds like #$%^&* when you first put it in.
5. What should I use to create the "river/channel"?
6. It's a Parviflorous Sword, maximum size is slightly larger than what it is now.
7. Sorry for not being so active...I have many other forums to check, and this one is in th eback of my head :P

gumbii

by gumbii

sweet tank... i HEART four leaf clover... i got a small cup of that stuff and it died in two days... i give you props...

ZooTycoonMaster5393

by ZooTycoonMaster5393

I've had the 4 Leaf Clover for about a month...it's doing great, and I see new runners every week :)

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You don't have to do much else besides create a pathway leading into and possibly turning out of sight by separating the Java fern from the wood a little more and having an open space in front.

To have a illusion of depth make the "stream", the bare area, much wider in the front and have it narrow quickly as it leads the eye back.

You could place a few pebbles randomly on the sides of the "stream", but don't line the sides as this looks too overdone. Just a few at 2 or 3 key points may look good, but this isn't as important as having the bare streambed IMO.

It may take some skill to replant the clover when you remove it from the front. I would use a finger to push the individual plantlets by pressing on the horizontals near the platelet bases into the substraight.

I'd love to see what you do with this tank. Please send us pics!!!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

About your substrate---Flourite is great, like you say it looks hideous (I'm saying this as the picture to the left of this post shows a bunch of it, lol) and makes a mess at first, but it makes plants happy. If you're concerned with the aesthetics of it, top it with something else. There's plenty of options.
It looks like you have 1.5" - 3" (hard to tell from the picture) of flourite in your tank which doesn't leave a lot of room, but some for something else. Consider eco-complete or playsand or even something exotic like tahitian moon sand. top layer doesn't matter a whole lot as long as there's a lot of something below it for the roots to be happy with.

ZooTycoonMaster5393

by ZooTycoonMaster5393

I have an average of 2" of Flourite.

Instead of a stream, how about a couple pieces of Chinese Zebra Rock: http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=274

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That rock is beautiful. I still think a stream or path between two pieces of it, between it and your wood or between your wood and some plants looks best. The space could be a path or trail as well. I don't think you necessarily have to do anything to the gravel but have a clear area. like having a "space" as your center of attention. If you want to put a rock right in the middle I don't think this is a good move aesthetically but this is your tank. Look at RSbadger back a couple posts. There's not that much going on, but there is a sense of hmmm. let's see what's back in the middle where it kind of sneaks out of sight between the rocks and under the plants. There's balance and movement.

zootycoonmaster

by zootycoonmaster

Here's an update of the tank (ignore any of the "green algae spots", because it's detritus): http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/r ... ics002.jpg

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Looks nice, but you stuffed a rock in the hole! You have a lot of nice plants and fish so I'll shut up. I didn't know clover grew under water.

How to improve this tank?

63 posts • Page 2 of 7