Fishiness -- Don't like it. No siree Bob

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

miami754

by miami754

I second spongebob's post right above this one.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Let us know how it goes zambize... hope it works for you

miami754

by miami754

Spongebob, you may have already thought of this, but I thought I would let you know anyway. It is actually generally considered better to put the bag of carbon in between the filter pad and the biowheel. This enables a large chunk of the pollutants to be picked up by the filter pad which leads to the pores in your carbon filling up slower. This elongates the life of your carbon. Just thought I would pass it along.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Yeah i actually thought about this before when you had suggested it, but my filter doesn't allow this as there is no room between the filter pad and the biowheel, even if you fill the space thats farther from the biowheel... you get maybe an inch at best. And Zambize has my size filter. But yeah, i wish i could move it, id rather it not be used like a filter pad, thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate it.

miami754

by miami754

Oh, my bad - I didn't remember saying that to you before or I wouldn't have mentioned it again. I didn't realize that you didn't have enough space either. I was just going off my Emperor 400. The space is tight in it, but I can cram a bag in there. I will try in the future to remember what I have already written, but you know how that goes.

snowboss

by snowboss

it sounds like the solution is in place here and im glad to hear it...

but i was wondering why he can't change the bio wheels spongebob? my wheels just lifted out when you open the top...i used to float the wheels in the tank while i was cleaning it......i never changed them......and was at the end of my fresh water tank ownership as i was going into the service when they started to get stinky...but i could have changed them - - it was an old harmon filter . . looked alot like the emperors now {lol this is circa 1980's} man im getting old

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'm sure in established aquaria is 'possible' to change any bio wheel however in a heavy or overloaded bioload it could cause a sharp decline in bacterial colonization at least for a short while and lead to some ammonia in the water column. Thats why marineland insists on never completely replacing one unless its been physically damaged to the point of not being able to turn. I doubt however it would have a completely detrimental impact, but a more favorable thing would be to rinse it heavily under a stream of tank water.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

right and i correct myself if i misspoke - - i would never change both wheels at once....do one and in a week or so do the other - - it seems to be a good discussion but not his issue....good thing.....Boss

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I only mentioned this for three reasons... the first tmercier mentioned which is that it is suggested to never replace a biowheel unless its defective, as it carries a huge colony of bb...

the second would be my personal experience of cleaning a biowheel and having my cycle restart... and i had plenty of other areas for colonization established... a ugf, a second filter, a ton of artificial plants (more than any tank ive seen), and a filter bag as well... which brings me to the third point...

thirdly, most people clean the biowheel in water change water... this works to not kill the bb... however, i used to do this and my biowheel began to stink really badly, from the gunk in the water i was using to clean it... since then, ive completely stopped cleaning my biowheel and not cleaning it in any water, it has ceased to smell... since no unfiltered water ever reaches it. i dunno, just my two cents

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

To be honest I rinse all my filters in tap water. I've never had a tank not cycle almost immediately. I think all the plants I use have something to do with it, even know I have 2 large tilapia in my back room and almost never clean those filters. They're nasty, but the fish are happy and the water doesn't smell. I don't understand why people have these problems except when they obviously don't have enough filtration.

Fishiness -- Don't like it. No siree Bob

20 posts • Page 2 of 2