Mini Cycle

34 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yeaa!!!

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Ok done, will test water tomorrow and post results

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

ok well i dont understand this one bit.... i have done 25% water changes every other day for the last 6 days (so 3 water changes)... i log everything... every parameter is great except ammonia...

Peter, i cleaned SUPER well last night, did exactly what you suggested.... and today my tank is just as cloudy... and my ammonia is at 1ppm, exactly where it was 2 days ago before i did the water change... my nitrates are at 5ppm, so no way im not cycled or going thru a mini cycle from the new fish load...

how does ammo go right back to where it was a day after a water change... unless i have too many fish for my tank... and my feeding is sparse, i didnt even feed yesterday or today... where on earth is this coming from!!??!! so wierd

im just gonna relax for two days and see what happens, maybe its out of my control.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

How much gunk did you get out, and did it settle on top, and was it easy to suck out? My gravel is a lot smaller and it might act differently than yours.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i got out a good amount i think... hard to tell, but i figured my filters should have gotten the rest by now. somethings off...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't know. Maybe it'll start getting better tomorrow. If you were able to remove a significant amount of gunk the load of work for the bacteria may have been reduced, or levels of ammonia, nitrites, remain unable to kill your bacteria it may just take a few days to get a cycle going. Your cycle may just be getting started again.
I can't get to all the gunk in my gravel unless I do cleaning the way I described.
I guess your tap water could be really bad and need extra conditioner.
I read recently that live plants make getting the cycle going really easy. Hint hint Java moss hint hint.
I usually look into the garbage when I go to an aquarium store and I often find unused extra large pieces of filter floss (the kind with blue on one side). I stuff pieces of it anywhere there is room in my HOB filters and canister filters because I think it gives more material for bacteria to live on.
Maybe in a day Spongbob!!! Think positive.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

hehe thanks, im going to do another water change, no vacuuming though. I looked close near my substrate and i see green algae ever so small beginning on the glass... this might be an algae bloom, but its not green colored... just whitish... maybe this is could be it?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i had something similar like this a long time ago, and it went perfectly clear in a day or two by itself... ill wait it out before doing another water change

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Wait! Is it green or white? A little green algae is a good thing, white may be bacteria. If it's bacteria it may well mean your toxin levels arn't killing it and you'll get a cycle soon.
I love it when I find cool stuff in the garbage. I found a 4 foot power compact with ballast earlier this year, and I also found a dead giant clam. I cleaned it and it's very cool. There was a nice corner cabinet for a bow front tank there for a couple weeks too.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i was checking my log, and a day after i introduced my 6 rasboras, i changed one of my filter pads completely.... a day after this my ammonia spiked up high, and has been going down ever since... i think this cloudiness is a bacterial bloom as you suggest, and so im going to starve it. Will post progress after weekend... i will cease to feed for a couple days.

Mini Cycle

34 posts • Page 2 of 4