Best way to handle algae

32 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I was editing as you were writing SB. The water as it goes through one filter pad may have most of the particulates taken out making two pads redundant for this purpose, but as far as ammonia and nitrites the water is only partly cycled each time it passes through a pad, which means that two pads only doubles the cycling potential. Where if not on the pads and bio-wheel do the bacteria live then? Most filters don't have bio-wheels and the bacteria have only all the surfaces to live on, and these fiberous pads provide more surface area than the insides of the HOB
Last edited by Peterkarig3210 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Peter, you're right.... but i think when people toss out these pads, they lose that extra surface for bio activity.... a second filter will have a permanent area for beneficial activity (such as the biowheel, or a permanent sponge that u don't remove). A second filter pad in there wont hurt ofcourse, it will only be good as you suggest. But if its choosing between a second filter or a second cartridge, the second filter moves more water and has a bio surface that wont be removed.

Zambize, just so you know, Peter (and Miami) was a major reason i even added a second filter, so we're just getting into the nuances at this point... any additional filteration is a good thing basically.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It does take some time for new bacteria to grow and it's assumed in my understanding that the older pad and the bacteria in the tank will seed the newer pad relatively quickly. I agree an extra filter is great, but filling both filters with as much surface area containing material should be best I think.

miami754

by miami754

I see your point, Peter and I certainly cannot argue with the reasoning, but I have personally never seen that much of a difference in my water quality when using 1 versus 2 pads in these dual pad setups. I used to use 2 pads, but then decided to put media bags full of carbon in there. It seems to me (and again this is only my experience) that this gives me a clearer aquarium than the 2 pad approach. I do not think you will have a problem with the bacteria not having enough surface to grow on if you have 1 pad per channel and a biowheel, not to mention the substrate and any decor you have. Generating large enough bacterial colonies has never been a problem for me (I can't use my cichlid tank as an example as they have over 100 lbs of rock to colonize on :) ). I am upgrading to a canister filter (XP3) here soon anyways, so soon I will not have the choice of multple pads. Ah well.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I wonder if the bacteria can colonise on charcoal? I have nets of old charcoal in my back room tanks that's probably spent, but I leave it in so there's more stuff for bacteria to colonise on. The water in these 2 tanks is fine and I don't have but 2 fish in the big one and hardly feed them. I also just leave the old charcoal cylindrical bits in my canister filters with my planted tanks. I heard that plants need some of the substances charcoal takes out so I haven't changed it in a while in my nicer bedroom planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Hey Guys,

Water quality again. My current is:

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1
Nitrate 5

How's this? What do I need to do?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Seems like it's just about perfect. Maybe do water changes half as much now and after a few days or a week get back to us. I think eventually you should get zero ammonia and nitrites with water changes every 2 weeks of 30% of the water each time, and then these changes should be just to lower nitrates. Anybody jump in if there's any other ideas! Good goin. Peter

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Yes i think the levels are considerably better than before. Peter hit all the points. And don't make the mistake I just made of adding too many fish at once, even small fish. I added 6 really small rasboras at once, but since my tank is small (20 gallon), it kicked up a mini cycle. But good job, keep it up!

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Thank you all for such prompt replies. My next move is to begin adding 6 Black Neon Tetras. My plan is wait until all levels are 0, or extremely close, and then add 3 of the little beauties. Then wait a couple of weeks and if the water quality has remained good, add the remaining 3.

I'd like to add the fish even slower, like 2, 2, and 2, but I'm concerned that they are a schooling fish and they'll already be stressed enough being at only 3 for a while. Thoughts?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

you'll do fine adding 3 at a time imo

Best way to handle algae

32 posts • Page 3 of 4