proper aeration?

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cyndrine

proper aeration?

by cyndrine

just got a new tank. 10 gal guppy breeder tank. I do not at this time have an airpump for it. Was wondering if I need one for it or if the whisper 60 filter I have on it provides proper aeration for the guppies?
currently running low but i can turn up or down if needed which is why i went with that one since the tank came with a small dynaflow that I did not think was good enough. Not enough surface area for the benificial bacteria since it is a 1 piece filter cartridge.

miami754

by miami754

Is the filter water dropping and hitting the water or is the water level up high enough that it just kind of seeps into the aquarium? If it is dropping into the aquarium and disturbing the surface/creating bubbles then I imagine you will be fine. I am no guppy expert though so maybe someone else will come along. If you are really worried about it then you could buy an air pump and a bubbler. However, if I had to guess, I would say you are fine as long as the surface is being disturbed and the water is dropping out of the pump and splashing a little into the water.

cyndrine

by cyndrine

wasnt sure if the surface was disturbed enough so i went and found a small airstone and small airpump and not the guppies are way more active.

proper aeration?

3 posts