Low Ph

31 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

what would u pinpoint the algae problem originating from then? so we can avoid this.

yeah depending on tomorrows reading i might remove the driftwood and see what happens... maybe switch to some kind of rock instead, any ideas?

oh and about whats under the plate, i meant the gravel on the sides of the plate... my ugf plate doesnt quite reach the edges of my tank, so gravel fills these spots.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Can't you vacuum in there if you thing it's dirty? Unless the wood is rotting I see no reason to remove it. Try the stirring up the gravel to get the muck into the water, let it settle for a few minutes and vacuum.

miami754

by miami754

Also, aggitate the surface a little in your cup a couple times today. This will further the introduction of oxygen and will release any trapped CO2. Is the surface of your water in your tank being aggitated? If your water is not well oxygenated and you have a good deal of CO2 concentration, this will work to lower your pH.

However, I am still suspecting that you have soft water and that this is causing your water to have little to no buffering capacity. If this is the case, then the wood will have a greater impact on lowering your pH even if it is a harder wood. I would buy a KH and GH kit and check it out after you run your test today. I am interested to hear the results of your test.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

ok results:

My ph in the water that sat out since yesterday is still 7.6. Miami, my water is heavily oxygenated... i have two venturi powerheads facing the surface on full blast and two hob filters casading water onto the surface as well. I have bubbles all through the water column. I'm starting to suspect the wood for some reason... i will remove it before i do the next water change and see if the ph bounces back to 6. If it does, i will purchase a water hardness test kit, and will literally remove all gravel from the edges of my tank too so that i may clean even more. I seriously think im doing a great job cleaning, but ive been wrong before though. If it is the wood i will be seriously disappointed with my lfs.

miami754

by miami754

Sorry to lead you astray, man. At least you know it isn't your tap though. Just as a side note, why would you be mad at the LFS if it is the wood - did they tell you that specific kind would not have that effect? Just curious.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

oh no, not for that reason, just cuz it was about a month ago that i purchased the wood, and if its rotting somewhere I would assume it has been in their tank a very long time (and they therefore shouldnt be selling it... or atleast tell me so i can pay a discount price). If it is rotting it would mean that it came pretty much rotted cuz ive been showing this ph since its introduction.

And you havent led me astray... trial and error is usually the only way to solve these small issues. I dont consider this a serious issue, not with the fish i have... ill keep you posted.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Just did a 25% water change, took out my big piece of driftwood, and will be taking water tests tomorrow... will post them when I take them, lets see what happens to the ph.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Just did a 25% water change, took out my big piece of driftwood, and will be taking water tests tomorrow... will post them when I take them, lets see what happens to the ph.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Ok latest update:

My ph results today were 7.4. So my first belief is that removal of the driftwood was the cause of my low ph's... don't ask me how a piece of driftwood could drop it past recordable levels, but it seems it has, so this is good news.

On a different note, I had added 6 harlequin rasboras on Friday of last week ( they are small, i wanted some tank mates for the angels... i know my tank is at capacity). I tested the ammonia today and it was at 3.0. Yesterday i had done a 25% water change too and changed one of my filter pads (other one still good with bacteria and my media bag also remained unchanged... with my biowheel). Isn't this ammonia high considering i did a water change yesterday? My water clouded a day after i introduced the fish... in retrospect i shouldnt have added 6 at once, so am i seeing an ammonia spike? im about to do another water change... when can i expect the bioload to catch up?

miami754

by miami754

You are right - that is insanely high for a tank that is already cycled. Even during cycling, I do enough water changes to keep it below 1 ppm. You may need to do something a little more drastic than another 25%. I would do a 50% change and follow that up with daily 25%-30% changes until it drops back to zero. I forgot how big your tank is. That will help in analyzing wether the 6 new fish is the culprit. Also, what kind of filtration are you running on that thing?

Also, you may already know this, but I'll add it just in case. It is best to wash the filters off in tank water. Do a water change and keep the bucket of water. Then take out your filter pad and rinse it in this water. That way, you won't be killing all the bacteria. You were right to only rinse one at a time, but this method is even better.

Low Ph

31 posts • Page 2 of 4