Just added copper sulfate to my brush algae problem.

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

snowboss

by snowboss

very interesting - - I agree with your concern about dumping chems in the tank, over all the reading I've done I see very few posative expieriences [not that some people have great results form them, but for the most part, no - -might solve or at the very least cover the immediate issue, but down the road you start seeing questions in the post, why is my fish doing this or what happened to that? they seem to be a good start for a self consumming machine IMO - - I'm not even sold on UV sterilzers 100% - -again this is just my opinion, they may kill the spores you speak of in your case but what else are they killing - fish don't live in steral environments in the wild - - but I guess they don't live in confined spaces either - - who knows....lol ... I'm following this post, interested to see the outcome, Boss

I don't know how many Gar your keeping off hand, but do you have the convienience of reverse quarentineing them? what I meanis put the gar in another tank while the Siamese fellas do their job in safety? then maybe switch them.......HEY ...good excuse to set up another tank, lol "come on honey we can't let the lil fellers get eaten"

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Spongbob suggested this. I think SAE's would just nibble the algae down and I doubt they would completely eradicate it. I have another big tank I could set up for my fish, and I'm kinda being lazy about setting it up. If the one dose of copper and keeping the pH from getting too low(this algae seems to like low pH water according to my reading) or high, which makes copper more toxic to fish, if that doesn't work I'll reverse quarentine them. So far the algae isnt growing back as far as I can tell. I just have a little left on a few things I missed when I cleaned it out before and I'm watching it closley, but there's no new algae on anything I cleaned before and none on any of my leaves.

snowboss

by snowboss

very good...glad to hear that

even though you have your problem under control another thought I had after I posted was water temp....some algaes in saltwater can be killed with a drop or raise in water temp....although we don't try Algae seems to need perfect conditions to grow as well, go figure - - -

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I have read a bit on the black variant of red brush algae and I haven't seen anything about temperature for eliminating this, just confusing and contradictory ideas on nutrients and that this algae is usually seen in low pH environments. My pH was low when it was growing and covering most of the leaves, gravel, and wood that didn't have java moss growing on it. Since I've been watching the pH and keeping it close to 7.0 it doesnt seem to be spreading as it was before. My tap water is a very high pH, so when I do water changes I balance the trend toward low pH with that. I also use phosphate absorbing medium in my filter.

Just added copper sulfate to my brush algae problem.

14 posts • Page 2 of 2