Messed up with clown loaches

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Captainbabba

by Captainbabba

I have a 36 gallon tank and I know I shouldn't have but I got some clown loaches. Well its been a couple years now and their getting big. I do weekly water changes but the PH is low and the nitrate isn't good. I may be wrong but I'm guessing thats from the tank being overcrowded from the clown loaches getting big. So a fish store near me said they would take the clowns (they have a big like 300 gallon tank with big clown loaches in it that sell for a pretty penny) Thats good but I know clown loaches are sensitive to water quality and I worry the clowns will die if their moved to the tank with (hopefully) better PH and nitrate levels which would be different than their used too. I'm guessing they would be fine if they sat in their bag floating in the water for a while but advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alasse

by Alasse

They will be fine if properly acclimatized. Clowns do better in larger tanks for sure. I have 2 in my 90gal

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Here's a video on drip acclimation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSnJjTEjWyU It's a very effective method. If a fish is drip acclimated, it usually survives the transfer to new water, even if that water has very different conditions. I recently acclimated my Elassoma gilberti from DH 16-20 water to DH 0 water, and they all lived. It just took a couple hours.

By the way, does pH change based upon bioload? Like, does nitrate buildup affect pH? I don't think pH changes based on tank cleanliness, but I'm willing to be corrected if someone has some information.

Alasse

by Alasse

Tank Ph can change as the tank get dirtier. Usually the PH drops.

Where i buy my fish use town water (high PH), i use tank water (low PH). When i buy new fish, i float the bag for 10min, then start to add the tank water into the bag, 10min later i release the fish into the tank. Some i get them home and just drop in. Havent lost anything yet *L* But i will say try to do my former route rather than dropping them in, as it may not work for you

Captainbabba

by Captainbabba

Thanks everybody and Okiimiru I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure bioload is one of the top reasons for a drop in PH.

5 posts