Alasse's Tanks

73 posts • Page 4 of 8

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zilous

by Zilous

Haha, thanks for both your inputs- I haven't actually pruned any of my plants, but they do tend to have some leaves wither, and I suspected it might be from overlighting (since there is a smidge of algae growth here and there on occasion). But here you are sometimes forgetting on occasion (glad we share that). My lights were on upwards to 12-15 hours a day, but I've cut it down in hope that it reduces whithering. Or, again, I could always plant more plants to absorb more of the abundance of light.

Looking forward to how your tank looks with the new additions.

Alasse

by Alasse

I've just majorily peeved off my O's *L*

I have been battleing a major diatoms outbreak, which turned into diatoms and BBA...sooooooooooo today i started the tank makeover.

All the wood has now been removed, and been worked over with a hard scrubbing brush, so now diatom/algae free. Its now sitting in the pond to keep it waterlogged until i get the substrate removed, washed & replaced (i may still go with a course river sand, gonna check out the landscapers tomorrow, after a beige sand rather than stark white)

I cleaned the 2 fake ferns, let me say, they are the most awesome fake plant i have ever owned, they were black many fronds fully coated (no green showing), 10 minutes, quick scrub with the scrubbing brush and back to as good as new. Extremely impressed!

So the O's as in a fairly bare tank, with just the 2 fake ferns to give them some cover. The tank will stay that way until at least tomorrow.

They are giving me the cold shoulder and filthy looks *L* They really dont like ya messing with their house! When i 1st took the lid off Eric jumped to bite my fingers!!:dodgy: sod! Then i had to try to keep 1 eye on him and try to get the wood out, he'd try to have a go at me the entire time, cranky thing *L*

Alasse

by Alasse

Sooo i picked up the wood for the 5ft

Its just a bit over 2ft long i think (didnt actually measure it *L*) Currently it is floating in the pond.

Never thought to figure in that its not waterlogged *slaps head* So hopefully it wont take long to sink. Then i can get into the Oscar tank
9fe02-Driftwood 7th Jun 2011 c.jpg
b95d3-Driftwood 7th Jun 2011 d.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

your fish are gonna love that wood...so many little crevices to hide about in

very nice

dream2reef

by dream2reef

gonna take like 8 years for that to sink lol.

Alasse

by Alasse

Nah wont take that long, nearly there now. Another day or so

Alasse

by Alasse

The weather is holding me up at present with the 5ft makeover. It is downright freezing here at present, and putting fish into a foam box for around 5hrs is not good. So if the cold snap continues, i'll have to setup a temp tank for themto wait in

Alasse

by Alasse

Still not got this tank done *sigh*. Its sposed to warm up a bit from tomorrow, so hopefully soon. The bit of wood is still floating *L*, but it has a hollow bit, so i will just add rocks into there to see if that will hold it down.

Hoping to order the 2 canisters with the next week, so may even wait for that so i can better access the back of the tank to install new hoses.

I spotted another oscar i am very tempted to buy and add, i'm sitting on my hands as i really want to get the 2 new filters on the tank 1st.

Alasse

by Alasse

Sooooooooooooooo

I started pulling down the 5ft today. Just finished screening/washing 6 buckets of gravel, oh my aching back!
The clay from the substrate has made the tank an absolute mess, just having a coffee and will get to taking the hood off so i can get to the bottom of the tank easier, then onto cleaning up the clay/planted goodies mess!

The O;s will be spending tonight and part of tomorrow in another tank until i get this one back up and running. Then i'll go pick up Bill (yeah i bought it!) and they will all move back in together

Alasse

by Alasse

Hood off and tank fully cleaned, razor blade and elbow grease, looks awesome now. Tank is still empty and will be like this overnight.

Tomorrow i'll tackle the canister and its hoses. Then onto rescaping

Alasse's Tanks

73 posts • Page 4 of 8