Alasse's Tanks

73 posts • Page 3 of 8

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zilous

by Zilous

I absolutely am a fan of tanks with plants in them, I love your 2.5f tank (I believe it's that one). I tried placing a substantual amount of varied plants into my tank, ended up only some survived while others whithered away (very) slowly. However, even though the ones that made it are blooming and growing, some leaves wither away rather quick- I was looking to ask what your typical timing was for your lights, and what kind of bulb your using, since they look amazingly clean and fresh.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

if you prune the plants that just are beginning to turn yellow believe it or not the plants will grow back much better than losing the whole plant

key to live plants is the pruning - never hurts to prune any dying leaves, your plant(s) will thank you for it

Alasse

by Alasse

The only thing i prune in the 2.5ft is the java moss, and only then because it grows like a weed and would soon take over the tank.. The major plant group in there is java fern, crypts & anubias, these i never prune.

The lights dont really have a schedule, i turn it on when i remember and same when for turning off, sometimes they dont get turned on all all for the day, other times it might run all day and most of the night :) I really need to buy a timer for the lights *LOL*
The bulbs are 2x 2ft T5's Aqua Glo i think it is

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Alasse, so even if the plant is yellowing or turning brown you do not prune? I completely disagree with this - if the plant is yellowing or turning brown it means the stem will slowly rot too to the point that it becomes soft so it is best to prune the dying plant leaf to save the rest of the plant and I am speaking in terms of anubias (only plant I have are anubias)

I am sure you misunderstood me Alasse - of course one should never prune just to prune except for java moss or algae, this is a given - but if a plant is dying, one should prune that particular leaf off the rest of the plant

Alasse

by Alasse

I dont prune even then yasher, not that i have many leaves do that, so if one or two every now and then do it causes no problem. I havent had any dead leaves on my anubias to have to worry about.

If of course you find your plants yellowing etc in larger amounts, it maybe prudent to clean them up. I though, would be looking into why this is happening to your anubias

Alasse

by Alasse

Soooo my 9 new anubias are home now, stunning plants, an excellent deal indeed.

I've just tossed them into tank, 1/2 filled the 3ft, 1 in with the peps, and 2 in with the maingano...absolutely rapt in the quality of them!!

Will move some stuff around this weekend. So new pics to come!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I've had about 5 leaves in a little over 3 years turn yellow and I immediately clip the leaf off for the dying part actually robs the rest of the plant because the plant by instinct attempts to cure the dying leaf but it takes all its starches and/or nutrients from the other part of the plant to just help cure the dying leaf - so it is best to just clip it for it will actually rejuvenate the entire plant

so you would - if a leaf was yellowing or dying (turning brown) - just let it rot in the tank? (((interesting)))

Alasse

by Alasse

*sigh* Yasher you're asking me the same thing over *L* so again i dont prune, which would suggest to me that yes i do leave the dying leaves in the tank and attached to the plant, they become part of the mulch/mulm the plants untimately use. I have had no adverse reactions to doing so and am not going to change now. You've seen my tanks do the plants look like they are adversly affected by not removing a leaf once in a blue moon? *LOL*

Zilous asked me what MY regime was in MY thread *L* I am not going to lie, what i stated is exactly how i do it.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

what I like about you Alasse - STUBBORN (my kind of girl)...also you are unique like me when it comes to the fish hobby - so mulch it is, I can dig this

and yes, you have beautiful varied tank systems....kudos!

Alasse

by Alasse

*hugz* Yasher....alls good!

Sooooo i have the sand, i was sposed to pick up my wood today (was Thurs, but they forgot to get it out of the delivery truck, and they'd packed it ready to go away yesterday), But it wont be today as the shop wont be open due to illness! They dont open Sunday, nor Monday so i wont get it til next week *sigh* The 5ft desparately needs some loving *L* Oh well a few more days, not much i can do about it.

Alasse's Tanks

73 posts • Page 3 of 8