To strip or not to strip?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I haven't attempted to strip I figure natural selection seems to work ok. Then I remembered the town I live in and wonder how were they selected? Wow I'm so heartless. But I was wondering if anyone practices this and has all good fry. I feel like the ones I save by getting them out quick may be the less colorful ones and/or sickly ones. I have some cichlids presently and have gotten rid of some that are just that. I'm considering it heavily but at the same time want to deliver fish that have survived because of their cunningness. My spell check says that's not a word? anywho....that one either. I'm done now.

neontank

by neontank

Is stripping removing the ill or defective fish from the group of fry

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

if your talkin about stripping fry from mouth ive done this twice, 1st time 22 babies 2nd time over 50 n all survived.i pulled mom into a breeder box exactly 14 days after noticing broading with 100% survival rate. after fry stomachs even out i put them in a 30g but i feed them from day 1 (crushed cichlid flakes) hope this helps. my lfs buys them but its a ma n pa store not a chain store like petco.breeder box was $8 i also put mom into a 10g til she gets strength back. the 1 time i didnt strip only 2 survived. n what i do is gently squeez her,open mouth with guitar pic n slowly move her back n 4th.look in her mouth to make sure all r out n she will eat right away after stripping.ive sold 12 to a friend but currently have about 60 left, im keeping 10 of the healthiest n selling rest

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Only problem I have is there are 4 holding eggs right now:( I only have one 10 gal that was supposed to be a hospital tank. Now I have a 40 and 30 on top of that just for babies. I've had fine success with survival w/o stripping though. 13 first time 23 second and 18 third the stripped female came out with 7 or 8 not sure. I may continue not too. Idk. I should soon have a fifth one holding if the cycle keeps going! I have 3 LFS I can sell too at this point I may look into getting a license or whatever I got to do to sell to the big stores...

4 posts