Discus fish

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

snostorm

Discus fish

by snostorm

I've been researching discus fish and have decided I want some of the these amazing fish, maybe the blue or green variety. Does anyone here currently own any? Any pointers you can give?

I already know they need soft, warm water, can't tolerate bullying and known for being hard to keep. I was wondering how much space say 2 or 4 would need? I wouldn't be getting them straight away as I'll either need a bigger tank or sell off some current fish. Another thing, I've also seen them in red/ pink and yellow in colour, is this natural or been bred?

Discus thread in general too.
ad762-Discus_fish.jpg

snostorm

by snostorm

No one?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

do not own any discus, never have.....but I may

snostorm

by snostorm

What would convince you to own some?

I know your down with the whole no filters/ heater thing, do you think it could work with these fish?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

size of the tank...I have a 55 gallon, if I had a 90 gallon or higher, I'd purchase a few of these guys

all the fish I have never reach passed 4 inches long...most are 2 1/2" to 3" long adult

lou1

by lou1

the above pic is a blood pigeon . its a man made colour. i have a couple of those along with a few others. generally u need around 10 gallons per fish. very good filtration . in the order of 10 x tank capacity per hour , also you will need water changes twice a week aside from that they are very easy to keep. avoid any chemicals. have the temp around 29 and ph 6-7 im lucky my tap water is perfect .
74f72-IMG_3892 - Copy.JPG

cwilkin

by cwilkin

Nice pic!!

us and they are breeding at this moment. I clean once a week. Its a 125 gallon tank. I keep the water at 86 and I feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp. They seem to be very happy!! A word of advicee be carefull where you buy them from. You don't want to end up with sick ones they can kill your others. I would say 55 gal at the least for the amount of discus you are thinking about.

Discus fish

7 posts