Cycling disaster please help asap!

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tinadno

by tinadno

So basically I'm trying to do a fishless cycle inmy 70 gallon tank and put ammonia in it after realizing that the ammonia has surfactant in it. Now I'm freaking out because I'm reading all these posts how it ruins your tank and I don't know what to do. I was going to drain it and take all the gravel out and rinse it thoroughly with hot water several times & change the media in my filter. Any suggestions???? I know I totally screwed this one up please help!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Yes, you do need to clean out everything and start over. Soap is very deadly for fish. When you clean out your tank, use only hot water. Scrub everything with a clean sponge or rag. Do not use anymore soap to clean it. Bit of a pain I know, but you have no choice.

Alasse

by Alasse

Personally if it were me i would empty the and completely clean it using vinegar (this is neutraliser for many soaps), the filter i would throw all the media and fully clean and add new media, and then replace the gravel with new stuff, too risky in my opinion to try to clean gravel which may or may not be porous, no guarentee it can be fully removed. And resetting it up only to find i've set up a death trap would give me nightmares *L*

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

vinegar will work...ditto

4 posts