Rescape time

31 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

"but a betta would feel much better in a larger tank with more of its own kind, like a school of 6-8"

Please please, do not put more than 1 betta in a tank, specially males. They will fight (this is why they are known as siamese fighters!), and it can & usually ends with death. Females too can be very unfriendly (though a sorority tank has been done). And putting a male and a female together other than when they are ready to spawn can also end very badly, The male will harass the female to the point she gets very stressed and this can lead to disease and death

Alasse

by Alasse

Opps didnt realise there was another page....anyway regardless the above comment is valid

Stunning betta tekneb. I'm debating getting another betta, been a while since i've had them, hmmmm

tekneb

by tekneb

Thanks Alasse! Everyone always says he looks like the betta that's on the packaging of every single betta bowl in existence lol.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Yea sooooo I have a betta in my current community tank along with rainbows neons hmmm rasboras annnnd a rainbow shark all are fine and happy no nips oh yea and a common zipper looking algae eater. Again as before it's said that what works for one wont work for another. I did it in a peculiar way too.
78242-002 (2).jpg
6c2c1-009.jpg

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Congrats on the upgrade! Bigger is always better I didn't even notice an increase much on my bills and I've got 3 tanks running. I'm glad you moved up though!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I do agree with natalie though...best to keep a school of bettas as all female...even one male will usually fight if kept in the same tank with all females (whereas other fish, one male to many females is okay).

In regards to alasse, yes, bettas can be kept in a school; a female betta fish will do well in a large fish bowl or several female betta fish can live together in an aquarium. Either way is fine. The key to schooling: plan to school females take some time to find the most docile female and put her in the tank first. Let her accomodate and add females from docile to agressive. If you add the most aggressive female first she will establish her territory first and will probably not tolerate other females. If you already have a female in a tank and want to add more, take that female out of the tank, rearrange the tank to give it "a new setting" then add female beta from more docile to aggressive. In time, they do set up a pecking order.

In regards to the male bettas living only together. They will fight, but there is one exception, if the tank is something like 125 gallon, and territorial caves/ledges are set up far enough apart, a school of 6 male bettas will get along. And even males that do fight, it is not always to the death.

In the wild, they usually live alone (so you are right in this way alasse); but if handled with the proper care, an all female school tank of say 6-8 or a very large tank with all male school of 6, will work.

good thread

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

i like the little bowl next to the tank wgats in that ;-)

tekneb

by tekneb

Thats my betta bowl. It houses one male betta and one oto catfish.

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

yeah noob mistake soory did nnot know was a next page tab at bottom only read half the thread there nice

Alasse

by Alasse

yasher did you not read my post at all *L*

I stated that sorority tanks can be done (as in all female), but that it is NOT always successful and that they can be just as unfruendly as males. I have myself kept a group of 5 females in a tank, 4 of them got along great, 1 was a nightmare and had to be treated the same as a male, kept solo. If you are prepared to separate them if it doesnt work, then go ahead.

Males, i dont care what sized tank it is, should definately NOT be kept together in an aquarium situation. I am a part of a large betta forum where many have tried to keep males together (in quite large tanks) all with very bad results, usually death.

Oh and i dint say they fight to the death (though it can happen)....i stated that theirs fights usually result in death. There is a difference. results in death means they are that damaged, weakened and stressed from the fight that they are susceptable to disease etc

If that is a risk you are willing to take then by all means, personally i loved my male bettas when i had them and kept them separate and out of harms way

Rescape time

31 posts • Page 3 of 4