Rescape time

31 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tekneb

by tekneb

Bought a 65 gallon today and just finished setting up. I used the old gravel, filter, and water so the tank won't even have to cycle. How's that for results! And the old timers complain that the newbs never listen to them on this sight. I'll post pics as soon as the bubbles clear up :)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

very cool, let us know how it goes (pats self on back ((((smiles)))...thanks for the compliment as I am sure several on this site thinks the same too

old media will help greatly...let us know how it goes

tekneb

by tekneb

Here's the pics. The tank is 65 gallons and is running on my old aqueon quietflow filter as well as a marineland magnum 350 canister filter I included a pic with flash, one without flash, one of the full setup, including my betta bowl, and a pic of my neons for funsies. This is probably a stupid question (possibly a very stupid one), but there's no chance I could put the betta in the big tank with the rest of the fish right?
24d7e-100_2011.jpg
ba908-100_2013.jpg
4f240-100_2014.jpg
9aa6d-100_2017.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

rosy barb would nip at the fins on the betta plus in time, when the redtail shark grows, it too will give the betta some serious trouble

possibly if you have the other tank still, you could make that an exclusive betta tank. people hold the belief that a betta requires only a very small bowl...but a betta would feel much better in a larger tank with more of its own kind, like a school of 6-8...plus the way they swim, the tank will be a very beautiful sight

so for your "very stupid question" you are correct, you knew the answer (((smiles)))

and the new tank looks very nice. My only other little suggestion is plant more live plants, let us say, anubias (slow growers, but very hardy...you may also put some live plants in the betta tank if you choose to move the betta (and buy more) into the old tank - bettas like a lot of vegetation/plants).

besides that, very nice tank...and by all means, let us know how things go

tekneb

by tekneb

Oh don't worry, more plants and fish will come in time :). There is an onion plant in the betta bowl, but it's still very young. It'll provide plenty of vegetation on its own once its fully grown.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well this is good to hear

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

In regards to your betta, i agree w/most of yasher's comments. He would probably not do well in your new 65 gallon (congratulations, btw!), and bettas aren't intended for little bowls like some people think. That said, your betta bowl actually looks like its a pretty decent size, but is it heated and filtered? I like the idea of turning your 30 gallon into a betta tank, but unless you have a female betta, the tank will need to be divided. Male bettas cannot be kept with other bettas--male or female.

tekneb

by tekneb

The betta bowl is both heated and filtered. Idk if you remember natalie, but we had a similar conversation a few months ago when I had the betta inside a vase inside my 20 gallon. You told me back then he would need more room and filtration, and coincidentally I found my old 3 gallon bowl a few days later, so I took your advice and moved him :). Here's a couple closeups of the bowl (with and without flash), the filter and heater are on the left, the onion is the little guy on the right.
ea139-100_2022.jpg
25157-100_2023.jpg

tekneb

by tekneb

Oh, and the 20 gallon is going to a friend of mine, as I do not have the manpower or funds to run those two tanks simultaneously, lol.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Yes i do remember that conversation! I still haven't found that study regarding how betta longevity is related to the size of tank you keep him in, but i still believe it's true :D! I think three gallons is adequate for a betta, and it's a wonderful improvement from the vase. It looks like he has a pretty nice set up, especially when that plant fills out a bit more.

Rescape time

31 posts • Page 2 of 4