My 4ft breeding tank

36 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

i tried the driftwood thing but couldnt stand the tea colored water n my wood was too large to boil
0db19-101_0549.JPG

Alasse

by Alasse

The tannins stop leaching eventually..

Soak the wood in a different container.

FishMane25

by FishMane25

amen to that! lol

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

i did 4 a month changing water daily n had it in tank 4 3 months...to me it was not worth it

Alasse

by Alasse

Oh well...shame

I've got wood in the 4ft thats been leaching for 6months or more, other pieces stop in a few weeks. Depends on the wood. The 4ft i dont mind the tannins, it encourages my bristlenoses to breed and they are happy. Now they have fry, because i have to do waterchanges daily, due to the amount of food i am feeding, its a lot lighter.

I love natural wood in tanks....so to me the little bit of extra tannins, or effort (in tanks i dont want stained til it stops leaching) is definately worth it. Plus i have bristlenose which must have wood to keep them healthy.

Like i said ya dont have to soak it in your actual tank....put it in a container outside and forget about it, well except for the odd refresh of water or top up. Not that difficult

Alasse

by Alasse

Picked up some new bristlenose today...so it brings stock upto

1 male common longfin BN (breeding size)
1 female common longfin BN (breeding size)

2 female common shortfin BN (breeding size)

1 male albino shortfin BN (breeding size)
1 female albino shortfin BN (breeding size)

1 ? albino longfin BN (not quite breeding size, pretty sure its female)

1 marble shortfin BN (small, unsexable)

They will soon be in their own tanks (to prevent x breeding)

I am still tracking down a male common shortfin & a male albino longfin. Will also be picking up some more marbles.

Oh i also have

a male peppermint (breeding size)
a female peppermint (not breeding size)

3 unknown sex (still small)

Alasse

by Alasse

and new to the tank.....baby albino BN, just started coming out of Dads cave last night!

Quite a large batch to by the look of it

Alasse

by Alasse

Updated pic of the 4ft....the guppies are spreading *L* The BN are spreading, lots and lots of babies in here.

Nearly accomplished my algae back wall on this tank, looks quite effective and the fish all love pecking at it!
a7b3a-4ft 5th Sept 2010 a.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

I picked up a lovely male common SF BN to go with the SF girls, so now i just need to hunt down a albino LF BN and some more marbled BN

Many of the BN will hopefully be moveing out of here next weekend all going well.

i have another 3ft and a 2.5ft tank coming next weekend, there will be the eventual homes of the albino LF female & the unsexed marble (2.5ft) and the Common SF trio (3ft)
The 4ft will then be halved with the Common LF pair in one half and the Albino SF pair in the other. That way there will be no xbreeding.

The guppies will be staying in the 4ft...males one side females the other *LOL*

Alasse

by Alasse

We have bn wars in the 4ft! Too many adults in one space. Hopefully none sustain damage (or die)

Their tanks were sposed to be here last weekend, now they are meant to arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed they get here! Then i can get them settled into thier own areas

My 4ft breeding tank

36 posts • Page 3 of 4