Need Advice

25 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mro2you2

Need Advice

by mro2you2

As you know I have a gourami. All he does all day is live in a little cave that doesnt have any sun light at all. I got him out but when he was out he was twitching and thrashing around, he also was very pale and was on the gravel tilled a little. Made me really sad to see him like it and I want to know what I can do. I think that the food I feed him may be the problem. Ive had the flakes for 2 years and Im going to buy new flakes tommorrow. but he only eats from the top and the loaches eat it before he would get the idea. I did put flakes on the top but still didnt respond to it. I really need your advice because he was a special fish that some one got for me. Thank you

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

first of all, all flake food, in fact, any fish or invertebarte foods should be stored in the refrigerator; second, 2 years is way too old...all fish food I have except for the frozen foods, I toss in the trash after 90 days even though I keep the foods inthe refrigerator

you need to get the best or high quality flake food you can, even if it costs a little more, you need to have the best flake food especially for sick fish

you may want to perform a water change (50%)

also here's a little trick - I do this for the dwarf african frogs and dwarf chain loaches - I take a turkey baster, fill the bulb with a little water then place whatever food in the bulb, then take the baster and direct it to exactly where you want it (with flake food you may let it sit for about a minute or so so the flake will remain sunk)

against all expert advice (again :) I never ever remove the fish to a hospital tank; I treat it the best I can in the main tank without chemicals and let nature take care of its own

anyway, let us know the progress...hope things get better for the little guy

mro2you2

by mro2you2

But he wont respond to flakes or anything, He wont eat it inless it floats on the top and he wont go to the top.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

let me ask you, is the fish laying on its side at times or just down at the bottom in a lethargic manner when usually it swam around a lot?

fish can go without food for several days, so don't fret if the fish is not eating; now if over 10 days go by, and the fish has not eaten, it is alarming...but remember, fish do peck at the smallest microscopic organism that us humans do not see, so possibly it is feeding itself in this way

there are foods with garlic that help attract sick fish or fish which do not eat...you can take a look at this link:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Garlic-Boos ... 02014.aspx

something like in the above link may help attract the sick fish

like I said in the other reply to your thread, I am not big on hospital tanks, but if you are, you can get a small plastic tank that hangs to the side of the main tank yet remains in the water, you fill it with water, and put the fish in (it's only about a couple pints of water) and let it feed this way

or in the worst scenerio, let nature do its thing with hopes that the fish will come out of it or it may die...realities we must all face you know?

let me know how things go

mro2you2

by mro2you2

hes been in this state for about 2 weeks. and it lays kinda on the floor tilted but upright. Ill get a pic soon

mro2you2

by mro2you2

pic. note I added one to show how he should look. the one with him on the ground are the ones. had to to poke him out of his cave.
7f4f2-Gouramis.jpg
03d29-Untitled 0 00 01-06.jpg
3c412-Untitled 0 00 41-30.jpg

bennyphan

by bennyphan

yeah I concur with the idea of putting the guy in the hospital tank. it will get him high enough to see the food floating and gives the guy the chance to see and eat the food. Other than that, I have no idea....

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I dont have one so Ill go to petsmart today.

jdak702

by jdak702

I was reading about them on liveaquaria and some of them say they do like to live in shadows and keep themselves out of the light. Maybe your light is too bright? Just a thought sense you said he won't come out for sun. Other than that, you know your pH? If you like that garlic idea, which i use every once in a while, you can just get minced garlic at the store and use the juice on the bottom to dose the flakes.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

the middle pic I would be concerned about...fish just do not remain at the bottom leaning against an object...leaning is a big sign of serious trouble

I hope you have that hospital tank as you read this...place that plastic compartment in the water, hinge it to the side of the main tank - do not place any chemicals or medicines in it - then feed it, possibly with garlic enhancement, and observe

see, in the main tank, there is actual pressure on the fish which lies on the bottom...there is actual sheer weight of the water column bearing down on this fish...in the 2 pint or so plastic thingy or hospital tank, there is no water weight, and this helps a lot

the main tank water will keep the plastic compartment at the normal main tank temperature plus the other fish can see it (vice versa)...and observe, if it begins to move about like usual, it is getting better...if not, well then we don't really have to go there, for we know what may happen

let us know how it goes

Need Advice

25 posts • Page 1 of 3