Anyone good at Shrimp identifacation?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kraigt

by kraigt

I was just making my usual trip to the LFS when I was stopped by the owner who wanted to show me his new purchase - A massive freshwater shrimp, only problem is, himself and the wholeseller he brought it from don't know the name

he was told it was called a jungel shrimp, but unfortunately google searches are only bringing up sites for an asian jungle curry using shrimp - THE MURDERERS

It looks like a mountain shrimp but was 9-10 inches long and with long arms and pincers instead of fans, would love to start to research them as he was incredibly cute and the LFS are very much looking into making him a special display tank and keeping him as the shop pet

Any help or suggestions would be great

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aqua ... cfm?c=1075

this is my favorite online fish store (9 out of 10 things I purchase, I buy from this web site)

possibly that link may help you....this link is probably the one you looking at:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=2797

this shrimp, though it is huge, is very peaceful

hope this helps

kraigt

by kraigt

Thanks yasher but not the one, think thinner and the front arms are about the same length as the body but really thin, imagine a ghost shrimp 9 inches long and front pincers on long extended thin arms

But thank you so much for looking yasher

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well you got me on this one...too bad you couldn't get a snapshot of the shrimp, it may help us track it down

kraigt

by kraigt

I thought of exactly the same thing, after I got home, it was like one of them doh (slaps head) moments

will get a picture on next visit

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

cool, look forward to it

kraigt

by kraigt

Finally found out what it is, altho its a shrimp, its more commonly know as the freshwater prawn (not sure why) here's a picture

http://www.wettropics.gov.au/st/rainfor ... rPrawn.jpg

the one in my LFS was slightly lighter, probably from breeding, but the blue was more out standing and was such a curious thing.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

pincers are super long...new one for me...looks pretty cool

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I was just watching a guy cook those up in a Thai cooking show.

Really cool looking shrimp. Wonder if it needs special requirements like a stream like current (considder the other fish though), hiding places, etc.

Also, if they're like crayfish be careful. They may be able to climb out using an air line. I'd find my crayfish all covered with dust and lint surrounded by 3 cats with it's pincers up on the other side of the house.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

lol Thai cooking...oops

11 posts • Page 1 of 2