where do i get flat rock to build a wall for my cichlids?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

angel_corrupter

by angel_corrupter

im trying to find out where i can get flat type rocks so i can build a wall to make little caves for the cichlids to hide..or what type of rocks can i use?

lostlast

by lostlast

Go to a local slate shop and get some different chunks of slate. Smash em up in random size pieces and build away.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree with lostlast, these flat rocks you are speaking about are slate (which is safe for a freshwater tank); you can also try sandstone, but slate is better for you can break the large pieces much easier.

Local landscape store will carry it. Usually very cheap, around 5-10 cents a pound.

You can get it online, but it will cost you a ton of money for rock that is much cheaper in your town.

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/vpasp/sho ... ?id=123800

there's a link for slate rock online purchase

Happy fishing!

mattpruegert

by mattpruegert

i live in oklahoma and i got all mine by the river

mattpruegert

by mattpruegert

I noticed you live in Oklahoma. I do to, by fort gibson lake and the verdigris, the arkansas and the grand rivers. I have found the best slate rock on the verdigris river. I find all sizes and very flat. I called the store over here to find out how much it was and it was $5.00 a pound. I have about 20 pounds in my tank. I scrubbed it clean and boiled it before puttingit in my tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I shopped at Hardscape in Bixby...great variety (sandstone, slate, quartz, river rock, pebbles) all at an average of 4 cents a pound

6 posts