White dots on driftwood

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

:(

Ryand639878

by Ryand639878

lol well thank for the defense everybody but should i boil the dritwood bc i tried to rinse and scrub the dots off and its not coming off.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

You can try boiling it. Also, if its too big for a pot, stick it in the dishwasher and run it thru so the hot water can kill off any unsavorys on it. Make sure the dishwasher is empty and don't use soap. I have done this a few times and it also helps blast a lot of the tannis out too.

stormer0719

by stormer0719

I have little white dots.....that move! I'm wondering what exactly they are. They live in the gravle, they seem to get thrown around the tank and stick to the walls and such. look like miniature maggots.

oh but on topic maybe the big mystery snail made them? hehehe and is it anything related to what i have going on?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

small white dots equal snail eggs

I have plenty little white dots, and guess what: it's natural to have them. Sometimes we get this idea that our tanks should be perfectly gleaming. Well in our tanks are all types of life from bacteria (hopefully good not bad), snails, frogs, fish, shrimp, live plants, even the water has life of its own - to get a balance of all these things going on in our tanks is the key.

I have algae growing well in the tank (it is a plant too, though on a simpler cell structure), I have snails that overpopulate the tank to burrow into the gravel (trumpet), I have ramshorn that clean the plants and rocks, I have olive nerite snails that clean the plants and glass, and I have loaches that keep the snail population down....

I have frogs that keep the livebearer fish population (fry) down, I have natural sunlight regulated by mini blinds that permit the plants and algae to grow at their own particular rates (I prune the algae every Sunday), I have natural wood that regulates the ph, I have enough mulm in the gravel (I have not vacuumed the tank for over a year) so the snails can feed off of and provides the plant roots with enough nutrition without having to place dirt in the gravel (plant side has 2" gravel; other side has 3/4" gravel), I have 700 gph of filtration for a 55 gallon tank that provides enough surface current to supply oxygen in the tank as well as good bacteria in the filters plus I have a water pump that provides further current to the surface and a light breeze to the plant leaves to naturally clean off any dirt residue the snails and catfish did not get to...oh what I do have, and what do I do as a fishkeeper:

I take out 8 gallons of water on Thursday and then another 8 on Sunday; I test the water for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite every Sunday; I test temperature every day and I have kept a log book of everything since I got into this hobby, you name the date, I can supply detailed notation for that date; I add Prime to the water on each water change; I add 4 tablespoons of aquarium salt for any stress every Sunday; I prune the algae every Sunday; I clean the filter intake tubes every Sunday; I clean the exterior glass every Sunday; and every other day I give frozen bloodworms, daphinia, tubifex worms plus live brine shrimp; on Sunday I do not feed so their digestive tracts are cleaned out; at times, I supply dry food and algae wafers.

So it comes down to very little on my part, about 10 minutes on Thursday and 20 minutes on Sunday. 30 minutes a week routine work, and the living species of all sorts in the tank do the rest of the "work"

white spots? enjoy them

Happy fishing
Last edited by yasherkoach on Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

small white dots equal snail eggs

I have plenty little white dots, and guess what: it's natural to have them. Sometimes we get this idea that our tanks should be perfectly gleaming. Well in our tanks are all types of life from bacteria (hopefully good not bad), snails, frogs, fish, shrimp, live plants, even the water has life of its own - to get a balance of all these things going on in our tanks is the key.

I have algae growing well in the tank (it is a plant too, though on a simpler cell structure), I have snails that overpopulate the tank to burrow into the gravel (trumpet), I have ramshorn that clean the plants and rocks, I have olive nerite snails that clean the plants and glass, and I have loaches that keep the snail population down....

I have frogs that keep the livebearer fish population (fry) down, I have natural sunlight regulated by mini blinds that permit the plants and algae to grow at their own particular rates (I prune the algae every Sunday), I have natural wood that regulates the ph, I have enough mulm in the gravel (I have not vacuumed the tank for over a year) so the snails can feed off of and provides the plant roots with enough nutrition without having to place dirt in the gravel (plant side has 2" gravel; other side has 3/4" gravel), I have 700 gph of filtration for a 55 gallon tank that provides enough surface current to supply oxygen in the tank as well as good bacteria in the filters plus I have a water pump that provides further current to the surface and a light breeze to the plant leaves to naturally clean off any dirt residue the snails and catfish did not get to...oh what I do have, and what do I do as a fishkeeper:

I take out 8 galloons of water on Thursday and then another 8 on Sunday; I test the water for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite every Sunday; I test temperature every day and I have kept a log book of everything since I got into this hobby, you name the date, I can supply detailed notation for that date; I add Prime to the water on each water change; I add 4 tablespoons of aquarium salt for any stress every Sunday; I prune the algae every Sunday; I clean the filter intake tubes every Sunday; I clean the exterior glass every Sunday; and every other day I give frozen bloodworms, daphinia, tubifex worms plus live brine shrimp; on Sunday I do not feed so their digestive tracts are cleaned out; at times, I supply dry food and algae wafers.

So it comes down to very little on my part, about 10 minutes on Thursday and 20 minutes on Sunday. 30 minutes a week routine work, and the living species of all sorts in the tank do the rest of the "work"

white spots? enjoy them

Happy fishing

White dots on driftwood

16 posts • Page 2 of 2