Plants broken from roots

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

baysidefish

Plants broken from roots

by baysidefish

hi,

This keeps happening. Everytime if I put something like Limnophila Aquatica, after two weeks, they always broken from the roots, do you think it is the shrimps? or lack of the lights? thx

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Are these stem plants? If so, are you putting them in still bound together with the metal weight? If you do that they will start to die off from the bottom and work its way up. I have the worst luck with stem plants because even without a weight they do that.

I highly doubt its the shrimp. Sound more like lack of some nutrient or low light problem.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I agree with dizz. When I get stems I remove them from the metal weight and cut off any dead or unhealthy bottoms and then I plant each stem individually. If the stem has a healthy root system you should cut the roots back to about 1 inch, it will promote new growth.

Z

baysidefish

by baysidefish

yes, they are stem plants. I have two more questions about stem plants
1. the bottm leafs keeps dry out and fall while top part keeps growing, what to do with this?

2. speaking of lighting problem, how long should I keep the light on? We see some of the tanks that have so many plants, how could all the plants get enough lighting?

thank you

baysidefish

by baysidefish

also, for those plants that have broken off, can I cut them and plant them again? thx

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Definitely!

Plants broken from roots

6 posts