tank went cloudy and can't figure out why

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

snowboss

by snowboss

very good....just glad to here your back on track - - - lets see some pics !!!!

EDUB1152

by EDUB1152

hey I know this was WAYYY back then but, I think it was your heater..

Sometimes they make water cloudy!

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

maybe you need to change your media in your filter? sounds strange... maybe doing a larger water change would be good...?

cyndrine

by cyndrine

been a while since this was a problem. Tank is cleared up totally. i gave away the comet since he was getting to big for the tank. I had had him for 5 months. got him and he was an inch long. wasn't expecting him to get 8 inches in that amount of time. So found someone who could house him properly. tank cleared up a little since then. Also found someone who wanted guppies so they took them to. I had moved them into a smaller tank, but then that tank went cloudy and wouldn't clear up. do not understand why but it seemed linked to the guppies. maybe i didn't have the right type of filter. oh well the person who has them is having no problems so they are better off. Once i get some new pics of the tank without the fish being a blur i will post them. But it is gonna be a while with my luck an pics lately.

samuel

by samuel

White and cloudy is usually is caused by bacteria (Bacteria Bloom).

samuel

by samuel

it can be from cleaning your tank to much (gravel, filter), medical treatments,and/or high nutrients levels

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

First, test the water coming out of your faucet (I did this). Water treatment plants place nutrients in the water, you will sometimes, I have, that after a water change (I change twice weekly, 9 gallon each time for a 55 gallon freshwater tank), it white mist circulates the tank, but in a few hours, it goes away. The reason the time is gettng less and less is because of two reasons: high nutrients in the water and your feeding regimen (I finally have the food regimen down, though I must be careful because I must feed the platy fry more than I do the grown fish - I am against placing fry in breeder containers, I figure, as long as the mature fish are fed right the fry will be okay, I do have a community tank, so I am also safe in this regard too...anyway). If you do not overfeed which tends to overload the capacity of the good bacteria, thereby, making the good bacteria not able to keep up with the huge bioload (remember, you feed too much the fish poop too much, and unless you have a lot of plants to "enjoy" this poop, the good bacteria will not be able to keep up), which makes your nitrite level go up. I cycled my tank in two weeks from May 6, 2008 to about May 20, 2008, and my nitrite and ammonia levels are O every day since then. So don't overfeed. The other reason is the high nutrient levels. The water change is good (water change is the cure all in my opinion...think of it in terms of a riverbed, the water is always flowing downstream, it is always moving - a water change is eseentially a "flowing" water, understand?...(I sometimes take my 2 dogs to the river, I take them off the leash and collar, we run and have fun/freedom, I sometimes just sit in the riverbed - the dogs love it - and when I sit down in the water, the water gets muddied up, but after a few moments it is clear again because it is in constant motion, always moving, I hope you liked this example :) So when changing your water, it is a constant change as long as it is peformed on a regular consistent basis - OH THE ART OF FISHKEEPING GOTTA LOVE IT - the pitful is man not the change itself. If the water has high nutrients, you will get cloudy water or a white fuzzy like appearance. But as long as you are not overfeeding, the filter system (I have two filters doing 400 gph on a 55 gallon tank) will clear the water in time.

So just give it time. Test your water, do not overfeed, have good filtration system and let mother nature take care of the rest. Happy fishing!

tank went cloudy and can't figure out why

17 posts • Page 2 of 2