Help With 10 Gallon

23 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Yeah, I hear and read bad things about those Chinese Algae Eaters xD. Actually I might just get the 3 Dwarf's and call it a day, I read somewhere that they like to graze on small bits of algae and if they do that, then I can just manually clean out the rest of it myself.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

rachie, I have the perfect solution for your hair algae: purchase Olive Nerite snails (easy to find them online; offline may be harder). I have about 8 Olive Nerite snails which clean the tank of all types of debris, algae,, they even clean the plant leaves...I do have otocinclus, but like zambize said, they like to live in large groups, so it would be unwise to get these fish

also good thinga bout these Olive Nerite snails, they do not produce in the tank (only in brackish water), so you won't have an overun of snails...if you get 2 or 3 of these snails, your algae will be controlled

the only other way to control algae is by having live plants, live plants compete for the same nutrients as algae does, and in time, the live plants will out-compete the algae, and the algae will literally suffocate to death

as for the Dwarf Gourami...these guys do best in pairs, so if you do get these fish, even numbers would be wise and even more wise would be to get 2 males and 2 females, but in order to breed there must be heavy live plant coverage (for these fish are bubble nest builders)

best bet is, get 1 male, 1 female...go from there

hope this helps (nice thread by the way)

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Sounds good yasher, I will definitely look into the snails and I will probably get 1 male and 1 female. Will probably have to call around for the female =P but oh well worth the wait to get them together. ^_^

and thanks yasher! =D I thank you and everyone else for the help you guys have given me.

Help With 10 Gallon

23 posts • Page 3 of 3