Help With 10 Gallon

23 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

"I suppose 4 gourami is still too much to stick into one 10 gal tho isnt it?"

If they are Pearls then even one is too much for a 10 gallon. They get very big as Z pointed out. Sorry.

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Yeah I already figured that much dizz. =P More or less I was trying to figure out what my options were with the fish to begin with. Well I suppose tomorrow I'll start getting rid of some fish, and then see where that takes me. I might just clear out the entire tank, do a full cleaning, and then get like a dwarf gourami for it or something of the sort.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

dwarf gourami do best in pairs

if I were you, I'd give all the fish to the lfs, see if you can get credit, and place fish in the 10 gallon tank that are more suited like the following:

Red Platy
(Xiphophorus maculatus)
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 64-77° F, KH 10-25, pH 7.0-8.2
Max. Size: 2"
Color Form: Red
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Farm Raised, Singapore
Family: Poeciliidae

Betta - Male
(Betta splendens)
QUICK STATS
Water Conditions: 75-86° F, KH 0-25, pH 6.0-8.0
Max. Size: 3"
Color Form: Assorted, Blue, Red
Diet: Carnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Farm Raised - Thailand
Family: Belontiidae

Golden White Cloud
(Tanichthys albonubes)
QUICK STATS
Water Conditions: 64-72° F, KH 10-15, pH 6.5-7.5
Color Form: Yellow
Origin: Farm Raised, Singapore
Family: Cyprinidae

Harlequin Rasbora
(Rasbora heteromorpha)
QUICK STATS
Water Conditions: 72-77° F, KH 6-10, pH 6.0-6.5
Color Form: Orange
Origin: Asia
Family: Cyprinidae

Dwarf Gourami
(Colisa lalia)
QUICK STATS
Care Level: Moderate
Water Conditions: 72-82° F, KH 4-10, pH 6.0-7.5
Color Form: Blue, Orange
Origin: Bramaputra, Ganges, Jumna
Family: Belontiidae

Assorted Pencilfish
(Nannostomus sp.)
QUICK STATS
Care Level: Moderate
Water Conditions: 72-83° F, KH 2-5, pH 5.5-7.0
Color Form: Black, Red, White, Yellow
Origin: Brazil
Family: Lebiasinidae

so there are a few species you may want to choose from. Dwarf Gourami would be a good choice just make sure you purchase 2 at the same time

this was a good post, hope we helped you...anymore questions, do not hesitate to comment

zambize

by zambize

Although 2 male dwarf gourami will fight when mature. Also, betta and gourami are in the same family and often don't get along. I've had bad experiences with both of these situations, and I've read similar literature. I've had a friend also have similar experience with both situations.

Z

zambize

by zambize

I would suggest you keep your 10 gallon tank empty and use it as a quarantine/sick tank for your upcoming 30 gallon. That would really be the smart thing to do.

Z

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree zambize...considering she will be buying a 30 gallon tank, leave the 10 gallon empty...maybe get some red ear turtles...I have a 20 gallon long sitting below the 55 gallon. I plan in the next few months to get a couple baby red ear turtles and begin the process of enjoying these species

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Ok well I guess that is settled then, I will give all the fish away today. Actually my friend's dad likes fish as well so I may donate some of the smaller tetra's to his tank because he has a HUGE tank and that would be nice for the fish to get a permanent home right away. As for the Pearl Gourami, I think they will be alright in the LFS so I don't need to worry too much about them. The guy who runs the LFS takes really good care of his fish so I can be worry free hehe.

As for the 10 Gallon, I think for now I will stock some Dwarf Gourami in there because I planned on getting another 10 Gallon to pair with my 30 so I have planned for my hospital! =D I will update you guys on what kind of Dwarf Gourami I ended up getting. I probably won't put them in for a few days so that I can clean up the algae in the tank for them. I was thinking maybe 3 Dwarf but if that's too much its alright. Also can anyone recommend a good tank algae eater that is small enough to fit in the 10 with the Dwarf? I just want something helping me with the cleaning so I can keep the algae under control more.

zambize

by zambize

I depends on what kind of algae it is. No algae-eater eats all types of algae. Describe the algae.

Z

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Well, honestly, I'm just treating the algae right now in the tank, its like hair algae but it's just starting to bloom. I'm going to treat the water for algae then when its ready I was going to put new fish in. More or less any type of algae eater will just be helping out and if there's not enough algae I will drop in the wafers for them. I'm not using them as my sole means of algae control. I was more or less wondering if I should put one in xD. If it really makes no difference then I can just get 3 Dwarf Gourami and let them rule the tank.

zambize

by zambize

If you get the algae under control I wouldn't worry about putting one in. Otocinclus are good in general, but they like to be in groups and the 10 gallon wouldn't hold that many. I have 5 in my 55 gallon and they hang out together all the time. A plecostomus would get too big. There are some fish that eat algae, but probably not enough. Maybe you could get some shrimp, that would probably be your best bet. Anything you get will need more to eat than just algae though so be sure to check the dietary requirements. And stay far away from Chinese Algae Eaters. They don't really eat algae, they get aggressive, and they do damage to fish. I'm not sure why stores even sell them.

Z

Help With 10 Gallon

23 posts • Page 2 of 3