Question on small tank fish

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zambize

by zambize

Swimming in circles is a sign of stress.

rachie

by rachie

No I don't mean like swimming in a condensed circle but more in the sense of swimming the full length of the tank, more or less just trying to say that they just swim in the same area more since its smaller but they don't seem to mind.

USAFProud

by USAFProud

Would a 10 gallon 24"L tank be suitable for 6-8 tetra's/danios?

josmoloco

by josmoloco

In a 10g you should do a pair of shell dwelling cichlids.

http://www.fmueller.com/home/aquaristic/5g/

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Yeah if you're looking for schooling fish i think that would be perfectly fine for them =] stick in some nice plants and something for them to swim through and they'll probably entertain you for hours with their activities.

If you're just getting started the fish you want are pretty hardy so its a great choice. There are other types of fish available but i'm not so familiar with the cichlid family. from what I've sen however they're a little more picky though some are just as hardy as any other fish.

zambize

by zambize

I agree with Rachie about the cichlids, some can be sensitive while others are quite hardy. You may not want those as your first fish, but they are great fish. If you're moving up to a 10 gallon though, which I think you'll be much happier with, your options really open up. You could do 1 betta and 6 neon tetras. I would stay away from the cardinal tetras, they are not as hardy as the neons. Also, I would add the betta first, wait about 2 weeks, add 3 neons, and add the other 3 neons 2 weeks after that. You can't dump all the fish in at once. The bioload would overwhelm the tank and you'd have the real mess on your hands. I still wonder what you plan to do with these fish if you get transferred? They can live for a long time.

Z

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

reason I said 2 zebra danios would be fine together, though 4 would be better is, when I first started this hobby back in May 2008, I only used 2 zebra danios for 3 weeks to cycle the tank, then I added another 8.

AS from what I remember, the 2 zebra danios were very happy, very energitic in the 55 gallon tank, they'd race back and forth, amusing themselves.

I do agree with zambize that zebra danios prefer wide open space. So on this point zambize is correct, and I will leave her correct on this point.

So what you will need to do is find fish that are slower moving that can stay in a tank that small. So we are right back to where we started from, a betta.

ugh :)~

zambize

by zambize

Bettas are great! You'll be very happy with a betta. FULL of personality! You won't be sorry...

Z

Question on small tank fish

18 posts • Page 2 of 2