Firemouths and Convicts

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Thatguymitch9405

Firemouths and Convicts

by Thatguymitch9405

Hello i have a 55 gallon rectagle tank with plenty of hiding places but i want to know if my male and femala firemouths and male and female convicts will be ok together

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

I think they'll be fine matey...especially as you have heaps of hiding places. If they go into breeding mode there may be a little bit of agro but in a 55g it with hidey holes they should be fine.

zambize

by zambize

Cedric - You sure? It sounds like the Firemouths will just hide all the time, not fun fishkeeping. Convicts are among the most aggressive, Firemouths among the least aggressive. I dunno...but in my experience, not a good mix. Even in a 55 gallon. You don't want fish that just hide all the time. You want them to at least feel comfortable being out and about, and being able to hold their own. Right?

Z

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Firemouths can hold their own in a tank quite well. I have a pair that over many years have lived quite happily with jack dempseys at some stage and also green terrors at another time. Jacks and green terrors would be more agro then convicts especially at breeding time but the firemouths stuck together and held their ground without needing to constantly hide.
Having said that....it can also depend on the personality of each individual fish sometimes too.

zambize

by zambize

Go with Cedric, he has more experience with cichlids than I do. Firemouths and Convicts are both cool fish...I had a Firemouth named Sparky...very cool fish...

Z

Firemouths and Convicts

5 posts