Why can't we all get along?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

paconubbins

by paconubbins

Unless you count the 5 gallon tanks I had as a kid 30 years ago I'm new to the "sport" of keeping fish and I have a basic question. How much "Picking-On-The-New-Kid" is normal when introducing new fish to the tank? I set up a 37 gallon tank about 3 months ago. I started with 8 serpae Tetras, which have been happy and healthy since I brought them home about 2 months ago. This past weekend I introduced 3 small clown loaches and the tetras are not acting like the proper welcoming committee. They kind of let the loaches alone as long as the loaches are near the bottom and close to cover, however, if the loaches dare to swim mid-tank and away from cover they generate quite an interest and there's a bit of nipping at fins (tetra nipping at loach). I suspect this is somewhat normal but I'm not sure. Will the tetras eventually loose interest and at least tolerate the presence of someone new? My research said the Serpae Tetra can nip but are usually peaceful if kept in groups of 5 or more, have plenty of space and are well fed. I think I've given them what they want but they don't seem to be getting along.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Welcome!

I got a group of Serpae Tetra's once (impulse buy) and within an hour they started terrorizing everything in my tank! And they were the new guys. I have a feeling it will be worse for you because they have been alone in the tank and claimed it. If you want other fish you may have to get rid of them.

a70m1c

by a70m1c

paconubbins

by paconubbins

Thanx for the info. I researched too and found lots of conflicting info but thought I could make it work. For what it's worth the loaches don't care much about the attention. When I woke up this morning one loach was resting right out in the open....and 7 of the 8 tetras were sitting right behind him wondering what would happen next. Everyone was getting along quite well. Of course, things change throughout the day. I guess I'm more concerned about introducing more fish. I'd like to add an angel fish and they like the same part of the tank as the tetras. It could be a problem.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Those tetra will pick on a slow moving angel until it no longer has fins :-( I had a male Betta in my tank when I added those Tetra and they attacked him bad!

You can replace them with Tetras like Cardinals, Rummy Nose, Neon's, etc. They are prettier IMO and leave everyone alone.

When I was ready to add a small school of tetra I looked online and if there was any mention of nipping or aggression I added the name to a list. Then I took that to the store and if the fish I liked was on the list I didn't get it.

zambize

by zambize

I have Rummy Nose and they are very attractive, they stay in a tight school which is really visually appealing, and they are active. And they don't bother anybody.

Z

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I had a set of 3 serpaes that killed my first German Blue Ram by stressing it to death (a $15 fish). I wasn't happy. Most people report that they behave better and take out more 'harmless' aggression amongst themselves when kept in groups of 6 or more.

As far as your clown loaches...just a plan for the future...
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/cl ... cracanthus

The site claims they can reach 16" in captivity though most will get up to 12". This means that nearing adulthood they require a -minimum- of 75 gallons with plenty of water movement to get around comfortably. They should be kept in groups of (minimum) 5 or more. This would help two-fold: A) help to discourage the serpaes from picking on them, b) you'll see more natural behavior as this is a social fish.

Just trying to cover the important stuff. There is some great info on the website.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have a small group of Rummy Nose, which I plan on getting some more this weekend to make it a group of 8. What I love about them is if anything is wrong with the water, they loose the bright red nose. So, if I look in the tank and their noses are not bright red I know something is wrong and need to check on it.

I also like the Cardinals, I love the flash of blue and red when then zoom by. Neon's are pretty, but cardinals are so much brighter!

paconubbins

by paconubbins

I may check out the Rummy nose or Cardinals if things don't settle down. As for the future with loaches...the local store said they'd out grow the tank by year two but I could exchange them when that happens. Sounds like I need to ask if they'll let me exchange the Serpae Tetras as well.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

paconubbins,

Welcome, I'm new to the hooby myself and I completly agree with what everyone said. I would recommend getting either the cardnials or neons. They're very frinedly, great school fish, hardy, and usually content with eachother. I had some black skirt tetras and they picked on my guppies (rookie mistake). I had to get rid of them :( Anyways, I would definetly go with either the neons or cardnials for a more "frinedly" fish enviorment!

11 posts • Page 1 of 2