Something in the water....?

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

vwfan79

by vwfan79

I've been have an issue with this stuff in my water, it's clearish in color maybe with a little cloudy tint...but my water is full of it, I'll clean the glass and a few days later it is coated again....the water test are all fine nothing has been added or removed in a few months....I thought it was algae buds, I did change my lighting to T-5 bulbs a few months ago....I have carbon in my filter and I've been using phosphate remover for the last couple of days.....I have been doing weekly water changes as normal 20% weekly and 50% monthly.....it's not getting any better, it almost seems like there is more of it.....all the fish are fine, there is so much of this stuff that the water is a bit cloudy looking with the lights on.....any idea of what this is and what else to do to get rid of it

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Does it sort of look like like fuzz? I had this stuff too, all over the glass, in the water column and the rocks. What I did was buy a filter that was made for a tank 2x's as big and that seemed to clear it up. Never did figure out what it was.

vwfan79

by vwfan79

ya it kinda looks like a fuzz almost...my tank is over filtered as is, should I add more filters?

jweb

by jweb

I had this stuff too. It cleared up over time. It freaked me out though. I had a lot of cyanobacteria and it seemed to appear when I used algaefix to try to control the algae. I thought it was some sort of algae bloom. Try cutting your lights back to about 5-6 hours a day.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah I had the same stuff and never found a reasonable answer.. It seemed that over the course of 3 months it just cleared up on its own. It seemed to really collect in my java moss, almost emanate from it. I hated it, but I'd take it back anyday over the BGA...

vwfan79

by vwfan79

Thanks for all words of wisdom....I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and let this crap run it's course...I just really hate my water not being crystal clear

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I guess I meant to say that despite my frequent vigorous rinsing of the driftwood and java moss on it in the bathtub, and neurotic-like filter changing (it seemed to go right through filtration no matter how fresh the pad was), and stirring it up to get sucked into the vacuum when doing water changes it never seemed to go away until I just kinda realized it wasn't around anymore...weird stuff.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you know i had this show up right after i changed to sand..... always used gravel, and never had the problem before, it started to show up after i reset up everything with send...... i think it might be a sand thing as far as i know everyone here with this problem has a sand substrate, i did not have this problem for long, i am assuming it was because of my constant water changes, since i have a"new" setup again i was doing 50% every 3rd day instead of 25%

vwfan79

by vwfan79

I'm happily surprised to see there are others that have dealt with this stuff.....it's the weirdest stuff I've dealt with in this hobby yet.....it sticks to everything and like Tmercier said it seemingly slips right through filter pads.....I do thinks its getting better though, there still seems to be a lot of it around but the water is becoming clear again instead of having a white cloudyness to it.....so the extra filtration and phosphate pads along with the shortened light cycle seems to be helping

9 posts