How many hours do you clean your tank a week!?!?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

And what do you guys recommed for lighting. I don't want to spend a arm and a leg
I thought about this

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-T5-HO-High-Outpu ... 1|294%3A50

but I heard bad things so IDK

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

that to me seems like a good deal that is about what i spent on mine... and it is 4 X 55 too it was an off brand too and it works great.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Is there any brands you recommend better? or what kind you got if I can ask cause i like a i said some negative review about starting fires was on that pair of lights?!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

all in all my maintenance doesn't take much time at all. maybe on -average- between feeding fish and removing algae from glass/etc/etc an hour total per week. All my tanks have sandy substrates and very high water flow so almost all detritus picks itself up off the bottom, and goes where it belongs (the filters) with a little push from corydoras, literally. I can't remember the last time I "vacuumed"- just siphon now.

Be careful what you read in reviews. Half the time products are given shitty feedback because the morons who buy them use them incorrectly, fortunately they're generally a minority...Chances are this person got a fire started because they weren't using a GFCI plug or something and had the unit hanging over open water. Who knows..

zambize

by zambize

I have 5 tanks, about to have 6, and I spend alot of time, but that is because I want to. One thing I don't like doing though, is carrying water. I got a Python to reduce the time and energy spent changing water and it has been *fantastic*. I highly recommend it. It takes less than 10 minutes to change the water in my biggest tank, a 37 gallon. It won't take any longer for my new tank, a 55 gallon.

In case you're not familiar...a Python is a hose that connects to your sink faucet and runs to your tank. It isn't permanently connected or anything. You just put it in your tank, turn on your sink, and the water automatically starts to drain from your tank. When it's as low as you want, flip a switch and the water starts to run in the opposite direction and the tank begins to fill up. While it's filling, add your dechlorinator directly to the tank. When it is as full as you like, turn off the sink, roll up the hose, and you're done. It couldn't possibly be easier.

Z

charismarl

by charismarl

I spend about an hour a week cleaning my 55gal tank and doing water changes. I do about a 20% water change every week. If you're looking to save time I would go with fake plants if you're willing. Also, look into things like keeping pre-dechlorinated/treated water in jugs for refilling and make sure that the vacuum you are using is easy to use. starts quickly, etc. Also, I use a magnetic scrubber which takes much less time then standing over the tank and scrubbing, then checking, scrubbing, then checking to make sure I got all the crud on the walls. I also use ghost shrimp, snails, and I have 1 pleco to keep the algae down in my tank.

dutchmonk

by dutchmonk

Only good when your tap water meets your all your fishes parameters IE:pH

some1fishy

by some1fishy

I really spend minimal time cleaning the tank, maybe a few minutes a month if there's algea on the side. I have a pleco who does that, a cory and 2 khuli's that scrape the sand floor for scraps, and my water changes are usually based on evaporation rates. My tank isn't overstocked, and I have a good filter on one side and air bubbles on the other that create a decent current. The tank is 55 gals and has been running over a year. There's also healthy plants that seem to help and the tank doesn't get direct sunlight. I think the fish are doing most of the work though. We don't feed anything larger than frozen blood worms either, so that helps.

How many hours do you clean your tank a week!?!?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2