Tank is Cycled!! What Amount of Cichlids can I add??

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

beachywoman

by beachywoman

My tank is cycled !!! whoo hoo! Now my question is how many Cichlids can I now add to my 72 gallon tank? I know I need to add slowly but I want to make sure that I keep the necessary amounts of ammonia from the fish waste circulating to keep the good bacteria alive.

kelbri

by kelbri

I found this site to be a great help with the numbers. They have what they call "Cookie Cutter Setups" that help with the number and type of Cichlids for different sizes of tanks. I haven't set up a Cichlid tank yet, just doing my research.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/q ... e_list.php

beachywoman

by beachywoman

Thank you! That site is awesome! I am still researching. I have learned alot.

jweb

by jweb

How long has your tank cycled?

beachywoman

by beachywoman

It has been about 3 weeks or longer. My nitrates are down to almost zero and the ammonia level is in the safe zone.

kelbri

by kelbri

I am with jweb, you need to make SURE that it is cycled. If you've been doing your research, then I'm sure you understand it, but I thought I had done my research, and jumped the gun. My fish lived (until ich destroyed my tank months later), but they weren't overly healthy looking for the first couple of weeks.

beachywoman

by beachywoman

I purchased 2 African Cichlids last night and put them in. They do not seem stressed in any way. Actually I wasn't expecting them to even eat but I fed them just a little and they ate very well. I hope I am not jumping the gun!! Maybe I should just try to keep the 2 for now.

kelbri

by kelbri

3 weeks is a decent amount of time, but you may not be totally done cycling yet. As for adding more fish, I would definitly hold off putting any more in for at least 1 week, if not 2. Let your tank get used to their bioload, then you could add a couple more. Slow but surely. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, as it has happened once or twice before :)

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

my main concern is that you have no rockwork in your tank....

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I am with you A1. If you are going with African Cichlids you need a LOT of rocks to make a LOT of caves. Without them, like your picture, you are going to have some serious aggression going on, and soon, no matter which ones you put in there.

So I say your next step needs to be, get yourself some rocks for the tank :)

17 posts • Page 1 of 2