Too much hanky panky...

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

jacuzzi7755

Too much hanky panky...

by jacuzzi7755

So I have many peacoks but only my blue eureka has a harem of females. Question is that he breeds with all of them and its not uncommon for three or four to be holding at one time. Problem is I am already raising about 70 of his fry right now and I simply cannot handle more. I have no intentions of stripping these females but if I leave them in the tank will any of the fry survive once released on their own. I have alot of rock and hiding places but its all patrolled by the other fish pretty well. I tunred the temp down on the tank to decrease his desire but every water change he gets colored up again and its go time. Also I want the know peoples expirience with Spirulina flakes and cichlids?

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

If there is plenty of hiding places for the fry then there is a chance that some will survive. If you wish, you can even by fake plastic grass which comes in a square piece...I have sucessfully raised fry in a cichlid tank using this grass before. Its perfect for them to hide in and the adults can't get to them in the blades of grass.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

If you DON'T want more fry, just leave the mom in the tank. My Yellow Labs are the same way. They wait about 2 weeks between holdings and then spawn again. I have a lot of rocks, but so far none have made it long past being spit.

I also have a 4" Rainbow shark in there with them and he is the one that gets the fry in the tiny places. I also have a couple Yellows I kept from the first batch who are 2" that can get into the smaller spots to flush out the fry. Until I got the shark I would have 2 or 3 a batch make it.

I learned the hard way that the LFS around here do not need Electric Yellows or Red Zebras. My Red Zebra will be releasing any day now. I do have her in the 10 gallon fry tank, but after she spits I will only grow out a couple, putting the rest in with the big guys. I kept her in there because its her first holding and I didn't want her stressing out.

Seems mean, but what can you do? They wont stop spawning and I do not have the money or room to keep buying fry tanks!

Too much hanky panky...

3 posts