live plant suggestions

11 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I went out and got a real cheap CO2 system (works just like DIY, but with somewhat better equip). Its called nutrafin and they seem to sell them in a lot of areas. The only benefit of spending $34 is I'll never have to replace the canister or diffiuser.
DIY CO2 is pretty easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIRf3Ck46Ik

There's a very basic video on it. Most people use a 2 liter soda bottle instead of the thing he has...to use the 2 liter you drill a hole just large enough to fit airline tubing in through the cap, then insert the tubing and silicone it in place to create an airtight seal. The reason I opted for the nutrafin is that 2 liter bottles will eventually break their seal and then you have to replace it. Not hard sure, but I'd rather avoid the hassle and use the nutrafin canister.

He doesn't really cover measurements in the video so here's a rough guide for a 2 liter bottle:
3/4 cup sugar, 6 cups water and a pinch of yeast (roughly 1 teaspoon does the trick.

The more yeast you use the faster it will produce CO2, but also burn off its fuel supply (sugar) and die. The less you use the longer the solution will last, but you'll be yielding less CO2 for your plants to take in which is fine in tanks that aren't densely planted. Co2 is really only necessary or useful with 2.5wpg or more, so don't bother unless you're hitting near that mark.

live plant suggestions

11 posts • Page 2 of 2