Ich?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

vwfan79

Ich?

by vwfan79

Is it possible for one fish to get ich and not the rest? I noticed my new red dragon peacock has the white spots growing on him and no other fish do. I noticed it yesterday and today there seems to be more of the white spots, I've had him for about a week, I got him from a very reliable lfs. I always thought it was something that infected the whole tank and spread like wild fire. He doesn't seem to be rubbing on things or stressed, none of the other fish are chasing him or any thing like that. I'm very concerned, and don't want to lose this fish. Any help would be great thanks.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

ich has a very spacific live cycle and yes since the fish that is infected is new it is possible for only him or her to have it fornow but when it becomes free swiming that is when all the others will get infected i would suggest putting him in a hospital tank and then treatind both tanks and do not put him back into the main display untill he is completly cured, and the display tank also shows no sighns of anything...

vwfan79

by vwfan79

ok thanks

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

This article was written for puffers, but most aspects apply to any fish..

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/forum/viewt ... &sk=t&sd=a

Also, fish which are particularly susceptible to ich will generally be the first to contract it from something else. I had 3 kuhli loaches for over a year and decided they needed some friends, so I got 3 more. Within 30 hours all six were dead. I wasn't paying attention to the signs until it was too late.

Needless to say kuhli's are extremely susceptible to it and don't handle things well at all if things aren't taken into control really fast. -.-

vwfan79

by vwfan79

Thanks for all the info, this is a Red Dragon Peacock, which is pretty hearty. I took your advise and dosed both tanks, they've had 2 doses and all signs of ich are almost gone and the fish are doing well.
Thanks again

Ich?

5 posts