Swim Bladder

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a70m1c

Swim Bladder

by a70m1c

Just want to share an experence i had this week.

Came home at lunch the other day and one of my discus was swimming upside down near the top. he couldnt right him self. looked in a fish disase book and a discus book and both drew the same conclusions.....there is no cure for swim baldder problems and a suruving fish will most likely be crippled.

just F**king Great i thought.

The causes could be over feeding, change in temprature or water preassure. the discus tank sits a constant 30 degrees. i dont see how the pressure could have changed.
The night before i ran out of frozen discus food and blood worms. so i feed them flake. i have never feed them flake before and to be honest didnt think they would even eat it, but they seem to like it. this is the only cause i can think of.

anyways i have a pond outside with guppys in it. it sits at about 25/26 degrees.
water a little acid as there is soil in the bottom with lileys growning it.

i took the upside down discus out (the other 6 where all fine) and chucked it in the pond, basiclly to die as i didnt want polluting the discus tank when he did die.

went back to work. came home that night and looked in the pond. holy shit i said to my self! he looks fine! swimming upright! left him in the pond, next morning still looked fine so i took him out and put him in hospital tank with some methalene blue to sterralize him before i put him back in the tank. that night put him in the discus tank with the rest of them.

2 days on now he is doing well, like it never happened.

He swims to the back of the tank when i go near the tank but he probably thinks i want to catch him again.

any one elese had a simalar experence?

a70m1c

by a70m1c

All HAPPY Discus Tank pic.
b5003-IMG00092-20081219-1650.jpg

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Never come across anything like that...how bizarre! Will keep this story in mind tho as I just got 5 discus for my tank.

Swim Bladder

3 posts