Dieing FreshWater Plants?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I look like my plants are dieing. I do have 55 gal fish tank with some guppies and one other kind of fish(can't remember) but neither eat plants as far as I know. My PH level and ammonia are fine. I use plant fert once a week by the directions. I also have 100 watts(1 burned out light bulb ) for my tank. Just wondering If any ideas or if plants usually die a lil bit because this tank is a new setup about 2 weeks old. Thanks

The third picture probably can not see it but the whole plant is very white...the others are more green. If you need more pictures please say something there easy to post.
c846a-n502391616_1782971_4950.jpg
80ceb-n502391616_1782977_4816.jpg
891f6-n502391616_1782978_866.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Can you tell us what type of plants you have? The middle looks like it might be amazon chain sword which i couldn't keep alive either. I think it has quite high light requirements. But i don't think it's normal for plants to die off a bit at first. You might just need to choose hardier plants.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

The last plant does not look like its an aquatic plant. I know they sell them as those, but from what I have read they will die off after being submerged after a while.

What fert's are you using? Maybe up it to 2 times a week. I give mine Flourish, every other day. Every time I try those tiny chain swords they die on me too. The best luck I have had is the big Amazon Swords, and other type swords.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Mine is a liquid, and this is what was required from a guy at a local petstore that has freshwater plants also, as far as the plants go Unsure and i would have to go back to the store to find out. But one was put at Petco in the lil plastic tubes. and the other was a local pet stop (grass type) and they said they can be fully under water.

They recommeded 1.5 Gallons per watt. I am running 2.9 watts per a gallon and hops of 4.7 someday soon. There not quite dead but are turning white.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

do you use root tabs (fertilizer for the substrate) and if not how many fish do you have total of each species..?

Also I'm having a little prob with your math unless I'm just being a moron. 100/55=1.81 (wpg), not quite 2.5 unless you replaced that other 'burnt out' bulb. j/w. 2.5 and up is ideal for -most- aquatic plants.

I'd try to stay away from terrestrial (emersed) plants until you're confident enough to start using Co2 as these plants can be a bit more atmospherically demanding but don't always die in aquaria.
Last edited by Tmercier834747 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I have like 15 fish, 3 small shark looking type about 1.5 inches long. And 6 Full grown guppies and 7 New born week old guppies. All in a 55 gallon tank.

I have total of 8 plants (very small), with out of the 8 only 2 different kind of plants.

Just wondering the chemicals and fert I should use as well?

Thanks in advance!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Root tabs will supply a good amount of ferts directly to your roots since your tank isn't heavily stocked. Some plants such as water sprite take a heavy amount of ferts in through the water column and others like tiger lotus and dwarf lilys take a lot in through roots. Since your subsrate isn't purely plant friendly (like flourite or eco-complete) it may help to supplement with something like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... P1431.html

I've never actually used root tabs because my most heavily planted tank is overstocked, but I've heard from people who used them that they had good results. I think seachem may also make root tabs.

Also I'd see if I could get your hands on something like amazon sword. They get huge but are very hearty and all they really require is a deep substrate and a tall tank. They are gorgeous plants.

Anubias, java moss, and java fern grow great in low-mid light and are great plants to start with, but have some special requirements as they all ''attatch'' to rocks/driftwood and don't like being buried in substrate. Most are readily available though the petco I have locally seems to have more terrestrial plants than aquatic as you seem to have found out.

Lastly as dizz pointed out, I'm not sure what liquid ferts you're using now but seachem flourish is pretty much the best out there for a dose liquid fertilizer.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Thank you. I will try the tablets, I can get 40 for 16 dollars off of amazon.com!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree about the Amazon sword. Mine is doing great despite no CO2 and only average lighting. I've also had good luck w/valisnaria and cryptocoryn wendtii under the same less than ideal conditions. I like to purchase my plants through these people....

http://www.azgardens.com/

...rather than the pet stores, who usually barely know anything about FISH let alone aquarium plants!

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Thank you, How much is the shipping??! I know handling is 5 dollars!

11 posts • Page 1 of 2