cheap but good lighting

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bigduke45123

cheap but good lighting

by bigduke45123

Where can you find a good but cheap lighting system for a 55 gal tank that I want to make a planted tank and have enough lighting per gal. It could be up to a 48" bulbs.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

This oughta get your flora going..

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... ndor~.html

J/K.

Something a bit more economical..will get you JUST under 2wpg for a good price..
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... TFIT5.html

Anything upwards of that is gonna be a bit more costly..

You could try getting a 48" shoplight from home depot or something and hanging it from chains above your tank with a few decent wattage plant bulbs. This would probably require your tank be open top though. Far cheaper than the alternatives...

bigduke45123

by bigduke45123

I was thinking of going to home depot and lookin around because they seem to be cheaper lighting than the places on here that are selling them as specialty items. All I would really have to do is either get one without bulbs and get bulbs or just replace the bulbs that come with it.

kempie

by kempie

Different plants need differing spectra of lighting to thrive.
Water quality has a big effect too. Like fish, pH values determine which plants will thrive.

Easier plants to grow in poorer lighting quality are those that are either hardy or thrive in dark/deeper water where the spectral subtleties of sunlight are diminished.

For me, in a moderately hard slightly alkaline water area, I found the following successful:

Canadian pondweed - considered invasive, grows anywhere and quickly, requires regular pruning in the aquarium. looks a bit like cabomba but is a true hardy coldwater species - tends to go brittle and clog filters if not pruned regularly, but guaranteed to grow even if left floating on the surface. Strips nitrates out of the water too.
Anubias - very slow growing. can thrive in darker environments, but due to their large leaves can be susceptible to algal colonisation so get some algae eating fishies. Will grow on bogwood too if nursed correctly. Lasts for years.
Cryptocoryne sp. - some are more hardy than others, but generally they'll do ok in dull light.
Elodea Crispa - coldwater rapid growing pondweed, will get straggly if not regularly pruned. Good in bunches.
Nomaphilia stricta sp. - various varieties, large plant requiring higher temperatures and non complex light spectra. Can be stunning if pruned a-la-bonzai. Some variants prefer acidic water, I believe the "thai" species thrives in hard alkaline water.
Water lettuce - floating plant which spreads rapidly over the surface, not suited to smaller tanks. Take care as it'll block out the light for plants beneath it. Make sure you've got room between the surface of the tank and the light/lid. Smells funny too.

Worth trying:
Java moss - needs relatively high levels of uv, however seems to grow well on bogwood placed near the surface (where is gets plenty of light). Can be a pain when it breaks up as it'll clog up your filter and/or gravel cleaner.

Plants to avoid:
Hygrophilia - straggly and seems to prefer acidic water
Vallisneria - can grow like mad, usually doesn't.
Water hyancyth - you may see these in the lfs, never managed to grow these
Water chestnuts - nice to eat
Those varigated things which die within a day or two ;) - can't remember the name, just the cost.

Hope that helps :)

cheap but good lighting

4 posts