Caring for Turquoise Discus

25 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yes these are awsome fish

Alfio7663

by Alfio7663

Thanks Tmercier83 your reply was awesome.

I was'nt really eagar to get the Turqouise Discus, I was just considering them because they looked pretty nice and, as I was told, they were a unique fish.
The German Blue Rams looked very cool, they'd be an awesome addition to my tank.

I live in Australia by the way, but the sites you gave me are still useful so that I can gather names of fish and so on.

Your tank looks really nice, I would love to buy more tanks and build on my knowledge in this hobby. Its very beautiful and rewarding. After looking at the facsinating marine tanks in the aquarium stores, and at photos of other peoples tank it builds motivation to know that someday I could establish and run one of those aquariums.

Thanks again for your replys.

Kind Regards,
Alfio

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Hi Alfio, welcome to the site and the hobby. You're right it is a great hobby and your like it more and more then further you go into it.
Pet shops! I tell you, they're shocking! Never believe a pet store salesman. They don't know anything about fish but generally are just shop workers trying to earn a living. Having said that, after many years I did finally find one staff at my local shop who was fantastic and saved me a lot of money (but he was one out of a thousand).

What temp have you got your water at? I'd be very surprised if your fish aren't all super stressed. As the guys above said, goldfish are cold water fish and can nt be kept happily with the other fish you've got.

You're tank certainly is too small for a silver shark. They are a ver popluar fish coz they look cool but the pet store's dont tell you that they grow to about a foot and a haf long and when they're that size you not only need a large tank but also one with thick glass coz they can shatter it. But its not like you need to get rid of it. While its small it'll be fine in your tank and maybe down the track you might be so keen on the hobby that you'll get a bigger tank anyway. Otherwise most pet stores will exchange fish (and I'm in Australia too by the way).

Re the water changes, as said above, definately dont remove the fish. Personally this is how I do it: syphon out about 1/3 of the water, then I use my mixer tap in the kitchen to set the water at the right temperature (27degreesC), and then I put the amount of water conditioner for 9L into each bucket and fill the tank that way with however many buckets it takes to fill it up. (I hope that makes sense, but you'll find a method that works for you).

Anyway I could go on and on but hopefully thats a start. I guess the main thing is to research everything you do before you do it. And that research is using the internet or this forum, and make sure you know what you want before you go to the pet store cz they'll sell you anything to make a buck.

Good luck mate.

Alfio7663

by Alfio7663

Hey Cedricandcandy

Wow, thanks for that reply.

I am quite reluctant to trust pet store salesmen. However, due to thefact that I am quite novice at this hobby I suppose I am easy to manipulate.

At the moment the tank is at 28 Degrees Celcius. The chemicals I use are:
- Aquarium Salt: Natural fish tonic.
- Natural Regulator
- Prime: Removes Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia. Detoxifies Nitrate and Nitrite.
- Bioclear: Natural Biological Cleaner for Aquarium and Ponds.

I currently feed my fish Tropicial Total Flake twice a day and I feed the sucking catfish Sinking Algae Chips once a day. Occasionaly, every 3-4 days I feed them blodworms.

So you think my fish are stressed? Do you recommend that I take the goldfish out of the tank? Do you think that it could have caused the Angelfish to become weak and die?

Its a shame with the silver shark, I really like it. At the moment its approximately 6 cms long. By the time he grows to full size (I think this will take a couple of years). I'm sure that I'll have either another tank or figure something out. The glass is quite thick though.

With the water changes I've currently got 3 9L with the Prime in them. I'm letting them sit for a few hours. Then I will syphon the water out and replace with the new water and add the other chemicals. What do you think?

Where abouts in Australia are you from? I'm from NSW Sydney. It would be cool to find out which pet store you go to. Thanks for everything mate.

Kind Regards,
Alfio

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Hello again...I'm from Southwest WA so I don't think we'll ever bump into each other in the local pet shop!

Umm, why do you use so many chemicals? Others might disagree with me but I don't like to put chemicals into my tanks unless I know for sure that there's a problem to fix. Have you tested your tap water? If your tap water pH is pretty good then I would just add the prime stuff (or water conditioner) to get rid of the chemicals in our water. Personally I'd give all the rest a miss... (I dont use them).

Your temp is good for all the fish except the goldfish. I think where you're at is that you probably need to make a decision as to what kind of tank you want to keep. Goldfish in coldwater, or the tropical fish? If you go tropical you then need to decide if you're going to stick with your current decor or go live plants and that will determine the fate of your silver dollars. You asked about getting plants that will regrow - will they all will but the regrowth wont be able to keep up with how much the dollars will eat.

The fish that you have do not need blood worms. This is probably what has caused your angelfish to die - they love to eat them and will eat way too much and end up getting constipated and bloat up (its called "bloat"). They then get really weak and eventualy will die. But all the fish you've got only need the flakes and an occasional algae biscuit for the sucker catfish (what sort is it?)

Anyway as I said, I suggest you make some decisions about what sort of tank you want to have and from there you can work on getting it right...

Good luck.

Alfio7663

by Alfio7663

Hey cedricandcandy thanks again for all your help

The reason I use all those chemicals is because that is what was given to me by the pet store (I am aware of your criticism towards them).

I would like to keep freshwater tropical fish. My current experience with live plants are that they get eaten quite quickly and dont grow back. Also they dont stay in the ground. I current have an Ambulia plant that is floating near the top of my tank and the fish go there occasionally to eat it.

I wouldnt mind buying an occasional plant, but I dont want to spend my entire Woolworths wage on caring for my plants / fish. I've read on the internet and have been told by the pet store salesman that the fish love the bloodworms which is why I fed it to them.

From the current information that you've given me I think perhaps I should sell the fish back to the fishstore, fix up my tank (put in the live plants, let it cycle again etc), then repurchase the correct fish. What do you think?

Kind Regards,
Alfio

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

You certainly could do that Alfio but only if you want a clean start. But there is no need to be so drastic. Get rid of the dollars so your plants will survive, and get rid of the goldfish coz they can't be happy in a tropical tank. But the rest can stay.

Probably do a 50% water change and put your plants in when the water level is low. And then fill er back up, using the prime only.

If you do get rid of them all to start again, you can clean the whole thing out and re-cycle etc. Or you can keep the filter full of water and don't clean it, and also dont clean your substate and then there'll be enough good bacteria still around in your tank that you don't need to start from scratch. Up to you which way you choose...

Hope I haven't just confused the hell out of you! Let us know how you go with it anyway.

Alfio7663

by Alfio7663

Nah you did'nt confuse me. I understand what your saying.

Its so frustrating, I just rang the three pet stores that I've been to (Pets Paradise at westifields, Stricly Aquariums at Campbelltown and the local aquarium shop) and they all say that Goldfish will be very happy in a tropical tank. Also that bloodworms should'nt be used as a complete food but they wont cause bloating and are a great 'treat' for my fish.

I regret getting the silver dollars, but I like the other fish I have. I'm quite confused with whether or not to keep the goldfish or not. Apparently (according to the fish stores) a lot of people have goldfish in their tropical tank. Without a doubt I want to keep the tropical tank, and one day advance to a marine tank.

There seems to be a lot of debate in the topic of whether or not Goldfish can be kept in a tropical tank (it is literally 50-50). I suppose with your experience you would have a very good idea. Its just quite frustrating when the aquarium retailers act as though they know it all and intimidate you as though you know nohting about fish.

I am willing to put in loads of time and effort. My only limitation is money. I've noticed that aquarium acessories and fish can be quite costly. I just did a 1/3 water change and everything looks fine.

Kind Regards,
Alfio

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

It is frustrating, I agree. Re the goldfish, why dont you just keep them then? I don't believe its the norm but your's might be used to it and may survive. They may of course damage your plants though...

This hobby doesn't have to cost a lot of money; its more about the effort so you'll be fine. Most plants will grow from their own cuttings so just get a minimal amount and when they grow, snap some off and re-plant. The plants in my tank were grown that way.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your progress!

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

And also matey, just don't get frustrated and stressed about it. Enjoy the hobby! and if you take your time making decisons; you'll soon find what works for you. There are varying schools of thought on lots of issues unfortunately.

Caring for Turquoise Discus

25 posts • Page 2 of 3