So excited! Bolivian Rams spawned!!

46 posts • Page 4 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Day 5 since spawn, evening.
Day 2 since they hatched:

They are making short little swimming spurts tonight!

I am an awesome Ram mommy! Who would have thought? LOL

I got a short video of them. Its only a minute, and towards the end you can see the tiny things make some short swimming spurts!

http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd35 ... lers08.flv

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Ooh, so exciting! Man it really makes me wish my angelfish would get their stuff together again. I put some bamboo back in their tank, since that's what they love to make babies on, so hopefully I'll have a successful spawn one of these days. They lay eggs about every two weeks or so, but it seems like such a LONG time between when you're waiting with bated breath!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

You should read up on how to raise their babies. I did and that is why its working with my ram batch this time! I have waited almost a year for a successful batch, but they kept eating the wigglers. So I took matters in my own hands this time and its working! They will start to swim tomorrow or Sat!

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Well I've gotten two batches to free-swimming, and then the father eats them, but that was in the 55. I've done plenty of research on the subject... I could pull the eggs out and do all the raising manually, but I'd rather do parent-raised if I can. It's much easier that way. If they keep eating them, though, I may have no choice if I want baby angelfish.

No successful spawns yet in their new tank, but hopefully the bamboo helps. Maybe I should get some of your crazy Spanish Fly water.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Day 6 since spawned.

Well, I thought maybe the fry would be swimming today, but not yet. Only 1 has died since they hatched tho! They may have grown faster the first time because the temp in the tank at the time was higher. Maybe I will raise it up to 80 degrees to see if that helps things along.

I added this yesterday, but it got bumped when they fixed whatever that mess was.

this is a short video of the parents fighting right after the spawn. The female is the smaller one. Upon inspection after they were separated there was actually no ripped fins!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m62zcgE-2Sc

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Hah, that's awesome. I love how the one-eyed angelfish comes in and swims all upside-down to see what's going on.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

LOL I didn't even notice Cali (the angel) checking things out! Want me to take video of her swimming weirdness? Everyone always asks "why is that fish swimming weird?"

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Day 6 evening update:

All the wigglers are starting to get control now. When they wiggle real hard they no longer stand on their heads LOL but stay "fishy" upright. I caught them all and put them in a breeder net, that has sand on the bottom and java moss floating on top. It was hard to suck them up with the medicine dropper because they can "swim" enough to zip out before I could turn it upright before they fell out! But, after many tries I did get everyone. While in the jar as I set up their temp home they were "swimming" around the bare glass bottom, so should be free swimmers very soon!

My Angels have spent the past 3 days staring thru the divider wishing they could eat them wiggly things LOL. I think the Mama Ram knew what they were because she would watch me with an evil eye when ever I swished them around.

Is anyone reading these???? Or have I been talking to myself the past week?
:-P

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

RMFT has been kicking my account off over and over on chrome for some reason..
if this post actually works, congrats.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I'm really interested in all this. I'm rooting for the little guys!

So excited! Bolivian Rams spawned!!

46 posts • Page 4 of 5