So excited! Bolivian Rams spawned!!

46 posts • Page 3 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

She is frantic, poor baby :-( Upon closer look there are maybe 30 of the original 200+ left. I need to go in and "fan" them with my turkey baster every 5 mins or so today. I made a small sand pit at the base of the rock they are stuck to, so as they hatch they will naturally roll down off the rock into the smooth sand pit.

Cross your fingers everyone! I REALLY want some to survive!!
Next time, instead of removing the female I will try leaving the male in with the eggs instead, because he took great care of their first batch.

The very first time they spawned they were young (maybe 6 month old) and the fry survived, they did not eat them, they made it all the way to free swimming. After a couple days of free swimming I scooped up about 20 and put them in their own tank to grow, because they were swimming thru the tank dividers microscopic holes and getting ate. As the days went on, the fry slowly disappeared thru the divider and after 2 days of free swimming it was the dad who chased the female away. He raised them. I now put fine netting over the divider so they cannot swim thru.

The second time they spawned they did not eat the eggs, but lost the wigglers in the substrate. The next two times she ate them as they hatched. I did take the small stone they were on last time and put it in a spawning net and they all hatched, but the next day all had died. I think its because the net was too bright and in a bad spot (right under the light).

If they hatch this time I will wait till they are free swimming and after a couple days put them in the net to grow some, with java moss to mute the light, in the darkest corner. The rock they are now on is too big to put in the net.

Does anyone have any ideas WHY she would be eating them as they hatched? I would suspect unexperience but the first 2 batches she had she didn't eat!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'm not sure tbh. I have read accounts of GBR (i know, not the same fish..similar habits lol) keepers removing the female and letting the male be daddy. Even some of them lost some swimmers to the male. Most accounts I've read though usually say that it only happens the first or second time, as inexperienced parents. Maybe you could try leaving the male with them for a few minutes and monitor him closely.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

At this point he will eat them. He's been away from the eggs too long this time around.

I do have some that are hatching into wigglers! I am fanning them with an eye dropper and when I see one wiggling I pick it up with the dropper and put it in a pile. I have 5 wigglers now :-D This just may work!

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Definitely try letting the dad raise them next time... and maybe feed the parents some bloodworms or something yummy to munch on so that babies don't look as appealing?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Well, I have a pile of about 10 little wigglers now. As I fan over them if one comes loose its hatching. :-)

I also have another Electric Yellow spawning right now! Sheez!! She has all the males in that tank wound up too tight! So, now I have a pile of wigglers in one tank, TWO holding mamas in another and a 3rd tank with 20 fry!

Anyone want to donate extra tanks to the cause LOL.
The two Electric mamas will just have to spit in the main tank this time. No more room left.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Hee! Man your water must have fish aphrodisiac in it!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Everyone is hatched now. There are around 20-25 wigglers now. I weeded out the dead ones and moved all the tiny kids into a bowl of sand that is in the tank. That way if they wiggle too much they wont get loose and lost. It looks cool, a bowl of white sand and in the center is a little pile of wiggly tan things LOL. Now, if they make it over night I think they may make it!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Day 4 of Ram spawn:

They are all alive this morning!! And a lot wiggly-er and bigger! I think this batch is going to make it!! Saw one wiggle so hard it almost popped out of my "bowl" LOL I am so pleased!! Last time I tried to save the wigglers they all died over night.

This is a pic of the bowl, its actually a glass top to a butter dish, filled with sand. The wigglers are in the middle. Hard to see, I know.
d0cf0-PICT0016.JPG

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Day 4 evening:
Everyone is still alive and wiggling a lot stronger today! They are popping all over the place! I am so excited!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Day 5:

They are all still alive! There are 42 little guys. Today they are making little swimming spurts in their wiggles. So cute to watch! They are starting to look more like little fish than eggs with a tail now. :-) Dang I wish I had a camera that would take a good pic!

Now I know for sure the mama is just plain eating them, not because there is anything wrong with them like I thought was maybe the case.

This is what they look like today (had to borrow a pic from a web site)
b005b-RamFry.jpg

So excited! Bolivian Rams spawned!!

46 posts • Page 3 of 5