So excited! Bolivian Rams spawned!!

46 posts • Page 2 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I'd go with the usual pattern of nature - the dominant male is the one who gets to mate. You can always split them up and see who the female likes more, because they'll probably try to kill each other if both males and one female are all in the same space together. When I was trying to figure out my bettas, I put "the decider" in the middle of a 2.5, and the two contestants to either side. It was pretty easy, as the male picked which female he liked better by just hanging out with her more.

My angelfish keep laying eggs and then eating them. Or knocking them off the leaf. Maybe their egg goo doesn't stick as well to synthetic plants or something. It's pretty irritating, since they can now spawn and raise them as they please in their own tank... and they keep spawning on the same plant, where the eggs just disappear the next day.

Fish are so stupid sometimes...

dizzcat

by dizzcat

LOL Doom, why doesn't the Angels mommy take that plant out so they can't use it anymore?? Hmm??

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Day 3 of the Ram spawn:

So far all is well! The eggs are starting to show tiny dots in them. Tomorrow I should see big dots, then as they hatch they look like eyes with tails LOL. No promises on getting pics of that tho, don't know if my camera can get that close.

Mama is still very protective! I moved a plant so she has more room to dig a pit for the wigglers and got chewed on in the process! It doesn't hurt, just shocks me LOL. I think she will be able to make great pits with the sand! Papa is still guarding the corner on his side of the divider LOL. He wont let anyone near his spot, which is against the divider, in back, closest to the spawn.

This is a really cool site that shows the process of Dwarf (new world) cichlids hatching. The first pic is what I mean by seeing dots. The sixth one down is what I mean by eyes with tails :-) I guess its actually egg with tails.
http://www.apisto.bravepages.com/apisto_Frame.htm

dizzcat

by dizzcat

This is a pic of their first spawn. The kids were about 3 months old here, hanging out with mom. The rock substrate is what I had back then that they lost their other batch in.
7f80d-Mom.jpg

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Hee! Juveniles are so cute!

I probably should take that sword plant out and put some bamboo back in, since that's what they love so much. I just really LIKE the sword plant, but... que sera sera.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Man I wish I could buy some little ram babies from you. They're so gorgeous.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Me too, but I have no clue how to ship fish. Where are you at? I am in Colorado.

I am fixing up my small breeder net today, and if I find the female munching on her wigglers like last time the net will go in the tank, with enough sand in the bottom to make a pit. I WILL get some fry to survive this time! I will be watching her all day tomorrow, because they will start to hatch sometime in the afternoon.

There is a new LFS in town and the owner said he will buy all my ram babies from me :-) I called about my Brichardi once and told him about my rams, he got all excited and told me he would take all if they spawned again! I don't care if all he does is store credit, if so I will get a killer filter or something.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Dude that's sweet! Yay for nice LFS owners!

Yeah I'm in Texas... wouldn't want to put the babies through that even if you COULD ship them, especially considering there's an LFS willing to accept any and all of them.

Yay store credit!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

OK, DANGIT!! She is eating them as they start to hatch again. :-( There is now about a forth of the original size of eggs. She is still fanning and protecting them, but as they get closer to hatching (stronger spots on them) she is munching them!! This the the 3rd time this has happened, so I am going to remove her to the other side and put the air stone close to the rock so there is water movement over the eggs. I hope they will hatch!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Best of luck. :) I am living vicariously through you. lol

So excited! Bolivian Rams spawned!!

46 posts • Page 2 of 5