How can I grow GREEN algae? I know, I must be crazy!

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Actually, I don't know how I will seed the tank. Maybe put some sand that has some growing on it in the other tank, or a rock.

I don't know anything about shrimps. I do know my little Otto cats take pretty good care of my brown algae. They say 1 cat per 10 gallons. I have 2 in my 20 gallon. I would love to put a couple in my fry tank but the pH is probably too high right now with the African fry. They keep live plants pretty clean and like to be in small groups. So they are perfect for a planted tank.
This is an Otto cat, they stay small at about 1 1/2 inches.
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_dis ... pcatid=923
5a53f-p-89773-Otocinclus.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I just bought 5 Otocinclus catfish, great little guys. Always sucking the algae off the glass, plants, rock and wood.

I have a ghost shrimp. I plan to purchase about 20 more in the comning weeks. These little guys eat leftover foods, detrius, and any fresh fish food you throw their way. Not much into algae, but this is the reason we have Oto cats

acerkai640

by acerkai640

oh ok sound cool about otos but they look alike chinese algae eaters (or thats what they call them at petsmart) are they community or semi aggr?

i wouldnt mind looking into one or two of them but my albino is always on the go i would hate to get another few pleco that would end up starving this one or themselves, seeing i dont have to much algae in my tank at the moment.
-acer-

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Otos are probly teh most low profile and least aggressive fish you'll find in your aquarium.

gumbii

by gumbii

otto's aren't SAE... totally different fish...

anyways... the green algae is a sign of a stable aquarium and a great spectrum of lighting... in all of my tanks i have green algae... and all of them have green algae on everything and same light setup...

i use a double 36W shop light from homedepot... and i use two phillips ecolux i thinks... i know they are rated like at 4600k or 5100k... they are bright white, and green algae loves it...

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Otocinclus catfish are definitely community schoolers. When you get a lot in your tank and they're happy, they will swim around in a big group and be silly. They are nocturnal, though, so it's hard to catch them in the act.

Otocinclus are happy in big groups - the bigger, the better. One or two will get lonely, and if you don't have enough algae you can always supplement with the algae wafers. It's really easy to just get one or two of them, but what's best for THEM is a big group... at least five or so. They are so low-profile it's hard to tell if they're all in there sometimes. You won't even notice them unless you LOOK for them.

How can I grow GREEN algae? I know, I must be crazy!

16 posts • Page 2 of 2